reloading dies

NeedForSpeed

Are there huge differences in quality and performance between the different types? Do they make a difference in the final product when you are reloading? If so, how?

Why did you pick the dies that you use? Are you happy with them or would you get something different next time?

I ve bought a bunch of Lee and RCBS-are they any good or do they have issues that I should be aware of? I mostly load for bolt action rifles, but also have an AR and a Browning BAR semi automatic. They require full resizing and possibly crimping?

Interested in everybodys thoughts

I'm tagging in on this one, curious of opinions as well. I'm basically starting from scratch as I gave all my old reloading gear to a couple young guys at work. I've been debating sending some fired brass to Whidden for custom dies.

for AR type calibers , i think dillon creating carbide rifle die set was a huge jump , bulk loading for AR easy to get scratches in steel dies , that cant be polished out
https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-carbide-rifle-dies-individual-three-die-sets_8_4_24498.html

i went through 2-3 regular steel rcbs die set and still on the same carbide that has about 6000 on it

seemed like i scratched a die every 1000-2000 with the steel ones

i guess i could quit using red walnut, but it grinds down that dirty bulk brass fairly quick

for bolt action , constant neck tension release is what i try to accomplish

bushing dies in combination with neck turning is where i raise my bar on most the bolt action rifles

some reloaders do not even realize how " out of round" the inside of the neck is compared to the outside , these reloaders are ok with have their own acceptable level to them but, they also do not get the effect of bushing sizing they would get if they did neck turn

Last edited:
I'm tagging in on this one, curious of opinions as well. I'm basically starting from scratch as I gave all my old reloading gear to a couple young guys at work. I've been debating sending some fired brass to Whidden for custom dies.

First Ive heard of this. What are the advantages and what is the cost?

for bolt action , constant neck tension release is what i try to accomplish , so bushing dies is where i raise my bar on most the bolt action rifles

but i have also used mandels after a full length sizing with a rcbs standard die , to open them back up to the same ID before seating (when i didnt neck turn for that cartrigde 30-06)

Assume youre talking to someone that doesnt know much about this. What are bushing dies and why are they better for bolt action? Do all the major companies make bushing dies or is one preferred for some reason. I

ve been told that if I fire all the brass in the same bolt action rifle, I only need to neck size-Is that correct?

What are bushing dies and why are they better for bolt action?

basically its a die with and adjustable neck diameter portion of the die , you buy separate bushings with different Inner dimensions to match your brass neck thickness .. sometimes used with or without the inner expander ball/button

Do all the major companies make bushing dies or is one preferred for some reason.

most die makers offer
-- hunting level reloading dies ( push a new bullet and done , cheap no promises of accuracy/results)
-- bushing die , for the guy that is starting to understand all the little things that matter
--custom shop , for the guy that knows exactly what he wants and that wants a dedicated die for one rifle/dimensions that matches exactly to their spec , usually a competition class rifle

is one better than the other ? thats a ford / chevy debate ,, people like what they like .. people that have brand loyalty may be preventing themselves from finding a better solution

I've been told that if I fire all the brass in the same bolt action rifle, I only need to neck size-Is that correct?

no , but you should be able to for a while, you will eventually need to size the body - they do make just a body die that is fairly inexpensive that does not size the neck at the same time -- if you want to use neck sizer die i would NOT get a 3 die set but instead get a body die to go with it like this one
https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/body-dies-prod79088.aspx

are you trying to purchase a die and unsure of what you want/need ?

Last edited:
That's a lot of questions. I'll tell you my experience. I bought my first reloading equipment in 1976. It was all RCBS. I didn't know much about it back then. Can't say that I learned much about making good ammo then. During college, getting married, and having a family, the reloading equipment was packed away for 18 years.

RCBS made good equipment back in the 70's. When I go back into reloading in the 90's I bought a couple sets of RCBS pistol dies. Both sets had problems. I had to send them back to RCBS and they corrected the problem. Since then I've an RCBS tool and it too had a problem. So now I avoid RCBS and I won't recommend it to anyone.

Nowadays I use Redding or Forster. Both of these companies seem to produce good equipment.

basically its a die with and adjustable neck diameter portion of the die , you buy separate bushings with different Inner dimensions to match your brass neck thickness .. sometimes used with or without the inner expander ball/button

most die makers offer
-- hunting level reloading dies ( push a new bullet and done , cheap no promises of accuracy/results)
-- bushing die , for the guy that is starting to understand all the little things that matter
--custom shop , for the guy that knows exactly what he wants and that wants a dedicated die for one rifle/dimensions that matches exactly to their spec

is one better than the other ? thats a ford / chevy debate ,, people like what they like .. people that have brand loyalty may be preventing themselves from finding a better solution

no , but you should be able to for a while, you will eventually need to size the body - they do make just a body die that is fairly inexpensive that does not size the neck at the same time -- if you want to use neck sizer die i would NOT get a 3 die set but instead get a body die to go with it like this one
https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/body-dies-prod79088.aspx

are you trying to purchase a die and unsure of what you want/need ?

No Ive purchased a bunch of dies and Ive been reloading but after reading some posts on here Im wondering if I should have asked more questions first. I just got a new Lee die for my 300 Blackout that does full resizing because my loads were jamming with just neck sizing.
Ive tried to assemble what I thought was quality reloading equipment but might have relied too much on the reviews on Midway ....

What do the Custom shop dies do? are they built for one type of brass and one bullet projectile?

thanks for your help!

What do the Custom shop dies do? are they built for one type of brass and one bullet projectile?

thats pretty much at the competition shooter level , the guys that buy these are not buying em to match an entry level hunting rifle. ( the dies might cost more than that type of rifle )... the guys that use these are the the guys who know every dimension of their rifle chamber and match the die to size just under that ( haven't done any competition shooting yet ) so someone else that is better suited to answer that

it gets confusing here sometime when advise from all levels of reloading gets packed into one thread, a lot of the beginners want to start off right so they buy into a lot of stuff they really are not benefiting from you also have to keep in mind that product manufacturers and their friends, minions and family post here too , then the other side of that coin is the competition of those product manufacturers have their friends, minions and family -- kinda like customer reviews ...

its good you asked the question "why" is it better or worse

/QUOTE]

I reload for 26 rifle calibers and a few pistol. For years, RCBS was top of the line. Then came a bunch of the others, and I bought them. When I got in to long range rifle competition I began buying these:

www.harrellsprec.com

Send them $70 and in 10 days you will have a custom FL sizing die of any caliber tailored to your chamber. They even throw in a small device to measure for bump, free. And they are fantstic to deal with. Whidden also makes a quality die for a little more.

It depends what type of reloading you do. High volume, pistol and ar15 type stuff Dillon is tough to beat. Other general reloading for hunting rifles...I've had good luck with my Forster CoAx press. Best press ever in my opinion. I use Lee dies in the Forster press (with Forster lock rings) and Produce pretty good quality hunting ammo. My 308 and 223 I want some more precise ammo I use the Forster bench rest dies. I get decent bullet run-out results with those. I don't neck turn or bushing size. I either full length size for most hunting ammo and just bump the shoulder or I use the Lee collet dies. I don't hold any National records for shooting but I'm not after that.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.