Reloading Dies

Gater

This is sure to get some arguments going but here goes. Who makes the best rifle dies and how much difference does the press it's self make as far as accuracy goes. The reason I ask is I have been using an RCBS neck sizing die and a Forester ultra micrometer seating die and just can't get a consistent jump if I leave them to long and I jam them in to the lands in my savage 112 BVSS the gun won't fire this is driving me nuts thanks for the help guys

Every thing fires the only time it won't is if I seat them long and jam the bullet in the lands i don't know if it's a safety deal with savages accu trigger or not a friend had the same problem he changed triggers and that fixed it my problem is I can't get a consistent jump I am trying to keep it at .05

Don't know if i should invest in a sizing die with bushings so I can get a consistent tension on the neck ?

Anneal your brass, brass has a memory and as you work it gets hard. This is why I dont like neck sizing eventually you will have to FL size and it's almost impossible to get consistent neck tension and bump because the brass hardness is all over the place.

you can just pick up a redding body die , to add to your neck die set

as far as the gun not firing you may have the accutrigger pull weight spring set too low, if this happen to be the case , youtube has plenty of videos to help make safe adjustments. if set too low, the accutrigger portion safety mechanism has a pivot pin that rides in a slot and when there is adequate pressure it holds that pivot in the bottom of the slot. but, if the spring pressure is too low and it happens to get bumped off the sear it will slide up in the slot causing it to hit safety stop

Last edited:
you can just pick up a redding body die , to add to your neck die set

as far as the gun not firing you may have the accutrigger pull weight spring set too low, if this happen to be the case , youtube has plenty of videos to help make safe adjustments. if set too low, the accutrigger portion safety mechanism has a pivot pin that rides in a slot and when there is adequate pressure it holds that pivot in the bottom of the slot. but, if the spring pressure is too low it will slide up in the slot causing it to hit safety stop after passing the sear

Thanks I'll have to check that out normally I don't jam to the lands but it happened once and I ended up with a bullet in tha barrel and a powder mess both easy fixes but would rather not have either

testing that seating depth to see if something further away and more forgiving , to both pressure peaks and reloading errors

keep in mind that if you have differences in shoulder bump headspace ,they directly apply to the distance to the lands measurements. its get more important to guarantee your shoulder bump measurements the closer to the lands you get

bullet jump will "round off" the top peak pressure , which can help velocity averages .. and be more predictable

for the cost, of a competition set ... it would really come down to how much i shot the rifle, it would also depend on the consistence of the neck wall thickness of the brass you are using , id bet your Norma necks are very good so it would be worth it IMO.

type s neck
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018049354
body die
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018046992

then use your existing seater

but if you were shooting lessor quality 223 cases , no chance i wouldnt bother ..

sometimes you can neck turn your brass to better fit your existing die ( measure your sized down down diameter , with expander removed ) .. might be cheaper option

back to priority, of why do you think the rifle didnt fire ??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.