Reloading 45-70

I do long range cowboy shooting. Almost everyone who doesn't use black powder loads with 5744. I shoot 530 grain cast bullets and tried from 25 to 28 grains. and the the best sustained accuracy seems be around 1200 feet per second. We shoot 35 shots in a match so we really don't want high velocity/hard recoil loads. I started with 405 bullets but now I shoot 530 grain bullets exclusively. Some body mentioned 5744 at $42 a pound. I buy 8 pound kegs and I think I a little over $30 a pound for it. Watch sales at Midway. They sometimes Free hazmat if you buy over $150 besides having discounts. Also, there s a powder manufacturer called Shooters World and they have an identical powder labeled Buffalo Rifle Powder. I got an 8 pound keg for about $20 per pound. I've experimented with it and it seems to perform about the same as 5744. For hunting loads you should be able to push the 405 grain bullet considerably faster. Shooters World data shows 30 grains at 1425 fps with 18,200 psi, and 34.5 grains at 1608 with 28,000 psi. It has been awhile, but I think I ordered this powder from Midsouth. Just checked and Midsouth and Graff and Sons have it for $22 per pound and $150 per keg. Good luck.

When I took a Marlin 95 to Africa in 1972, was first person to do so, I "heated up" some loads, but unfortunately ONLY had the Winchester 405gr silver tips to use, and speed was to great for them to work right, But do believe the load with the better bullets we have now would be fine. Indeed, could be speeded up some and be almost a 450NE. The load is used was 47 grs of 4198 and the 405 gr bullet, this gave a MV or 1900 fps. With a good bullet today, would be a slammer. Guy I know in RSA said he'd like to get on and load it hot like I did, and use it as a DGR. While having 3600 fpme, the bullets just flattened out, and didn't kill well. Have some pictures but don't know how to get them on here.

Just checked my Chronograph results, and was 1903 fps and SD of 8. Did not see a pressure signs and think it could be bumped up, but the recoil due to stock shape in does push ya.

Last edited:
I have been feeding my Marlin 20" a steady diet of IMR4895 pushing Rem 405. [micro grove is picky, no cast in the diet] for about 25 years now. nikon 4 power on top, matches the 39A.
*** Knowing these scopes can range for you. 100yd, 15"cross hair to heavy point. 30" point to point. 200yds 30" will be center to heavy point. {Your scopes will vary, simple fixed power have features if you know how to use them.}
>>>It may sound wrong, the heavier bullet will fly flatter, even with a slower start. Think 3 bowling balls in a line...
'

Last edited:
4198 is my go to powder. Don't need to load heavy as your Heavy bullets, under 200 yards, had no problems taking down buffalo at 1250fps. Make it comfortable And if you want to really have fun stuff 68 grains of black powder in that guy with a 535 grain cast bullet, then the fun begins.

Thanks for all the insight guy, today I picked up some IMR-3031 and some reloader 7. Also picked up some Hornady 300 grain HP. It will probably be December or so before I get any time to work up a load with rifle season around the corner, but will try to post my results when I get a load worked up. Thanks for the help
I loaded some Hornady 300gr for a buddy's Texas whitetail hunt. I wasn't there but he did mention some bloodshot meat. I can't remember how hot I loaded it, but I doubt anything extreme. I'd look up Hornady's accuracy load and call it good. Good luck!

Thanks for all the insight guy, today I picked up some IMR-3031 and some reloader 7. Also picked up some Hornady 300 grain HP. It will probably be December or so before I get any time to work up a load with rifle season around the corner, but will try to post my results when I get a load worked up. Thanks for the help
What are you going to be hunting? I choose the Hornady 350gr bullet as my one load, do it all round.

I'm interested in working up a load for my marlin 1895 CBA 20 inch barrel. I have 200 pieces of new starline brass and a box of 250 HSM 405 grain cast flat nose bullets to get started with. I'm not sure what powders to start with. My goal here is to find a load that will shoot accurately out to 150 yards max as this is my brush gun. Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated.
I'm newly signed in finally, though I have been following the various threads for the past year. I have a model 1886 Browning in 45-70. With the shortage of powder I started looking at different loading manuals and found that there are loads given in the "Complete Reloading Manual for the 45-70 Gov't for Accurate Powder 8700. That surprised me as I never thought of that. As far as I know that powder is no longer manufactured, but I shoot a 50 BMG and if you use pull down powder designated to shoot in the 50, the recommendation is to use the reloading specs for 8700, backing off 10% for starting load. I use WC 860 and have lots of it. In the reloading manual for 400 grain projectile the powder charge given as 60 grains of 8700, and of course the 45-70 is 70 grains of black powder. Has anyone ever use WC860 for loading the 45-70p? I think that in as much as 8700 is one step above black powder, I'm thinking that I should be able to easily work up a load. I'm looking for some imput on this before I start testing some loads out.

Veral Smith of LBT fame has written about using duplex loads with super slow powders and cast bullets, using pistol powder as a priming charge. His process is about how to do it safely, working up for your combination/recipe. It is available online but I do not recall where.

I really don't want to hijack your thread, but it's kinda related. Has anyone used or tried to use a faster twist than 1 in 18 inches. I have a few 45-70s and all have a 1 in 18" twist except one Uberti that has a 1 in 20". I shoot the 535 grain Postell cast bullet exclusively. We shoot out to 880 yards. The Uberti does well to almost 600 yards. The treat do well out to 880 yards. Has anyone tried a faster twist while using heavy cast bullets? I'm thinking of building an other 45-70 and would like to try to use faster twist to stabilize the heavy bullets better.