Anyone reloading 45-70 or 45-90 with Rem 405 gr JSP bullets?

CCAguns

My Browning B-78 loves the Rem 405 gr jacketed soft point bullets. Was wondering what smokeless powders you like for the 45-70 or 45-90, and what velocities you attempt to achieve.

IMR 4198 or RL 7 does really well in the 45-70 for smokeless powder. But this smokeless powder is just a passing fad. Shoot black powder and cast bullets like a real man. LOL
P.S. Have fun.

I load for my Marlin 1895 and use H4198 for everything from Hornady 300g HP to 400g Speer SP or Barnes Busters. Great stuff.

RT, my B-78 just loves the Rem 405 gr JSP bullet which I found when originally shooting factory loads to get brass. I was buying everything I could find in 45-90, to which it was reamed. As I'd rather spend time shooting than cleaning, I've avoided black powder. I started with AA 5744 and got good results, with 1/2", 3-shot, 100 yard groups at 1750 fps. I'm out of 5744 and can't seem to find it locally (I understand it is now quite expensive also). I'm not trying to gain any velocity as this seems plenty enough. However, I don't want to lose this accuracy. I may well try RL 7 or IMR 4198 as both seem highly recommended. Thanks!

I have also had great results with 5744 shooting cast bullets. I think that you will find what you are looking for with IMR 4198 or RL 7. I enjoy shooting BP and cast bullets but you have to know what you are doing to load them and get them to shoot. One little thing about clean up that I found that makes it easy is to use Awesome Orange spray cleaner that you can find at Dollar Tree stores for $1 a bottle. This stuff just melts BP fouling making cleaning a barrel quick and easy. I use it to clean my muzzle loaders also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.