Reloading 101

Obsessed

Is there any books or videos that you guys would recommend to a person just getting into reloading. I have never done it, and need much help. Planning on purchasing an RCBS master relading kit along with the proper dies needed. How do you choose a powder or primer except from trial and error?
Do you need a tumbler?
Help appreciated!!

I would recommend getting a Hornady Lock and Load single stage press. Once you get your dies set, you can interchange them quickly. And with a micrometer bullet seater, all you have to do is write your dial positions down for multiple bullets with the same cartridge.
smile.gif

Obsessed, The RCBS kit is fine to start with. I would also suggest getting several of the current loading manuals, They have some good information for someone just starting out.

I like the RCBS competition seater both for ease of use, and the lack of run out I get with it.

If you order the Hornady dies, be sure to order a shell holder with them. Or you will spend a week cussing them and looking at a nice set of dies you can't use while waiting for the shell holder to arrive. RCBS and Lee both include them.

Lee collet dies seem to give me the least runout in my brass, but sooner or later you will need a FL sizer to bump the shoulder back.

Pick up a good reloading manual such as the Hornady or Hodgdon. They will list both powders and primers to be used with most popular bullets you might want to try.

I got by for years with out a tumbler. You don't have to have one, but if mine broke tonight, Midway would be shipping me a new one in the morning!

Get your hands on as many reloading manuals as possible. For standard cartridges, the Hodgdon, Speer and Lee are excellent. For some wildcats and new short magnums, the new Nosler #5 has excellent info.

Make sure that your ammo is concentric and straight. Weigh your powder charges.

For dies, I would suggest the Lee Collet die set. It comes with the FL sizer, collet neck sizer, seating die, shell holder and data for very little money. The collet sizer is probably the best neck sizer compared to any off the shelf neck die on the market (standard cartridges in SAAMI chambers).

I have used the Lee Anniversay starter kit for years. I would switch the primer pocket cleaner and neck deburrer (RCBS). Otherwise, everything is excellent. The Lee hand primer is equal or better then any on the market today. The press is accurate and durable. The total kit price would be about 1/2 the RCBS price.

Use the extra money to buy loading components. Don't worry about the tumbler yet. Fine steel wool will keep your necks clean and brass shiny. If you were handgunning, then a tumbler is a must. For rifle, the brass will wear out before it gets ugly.

if you are going to do any neck turning and/or trimming, the Forster case trimmer is excellent. I would avoid the Lyman and have no experience with the RCBS. Some prefer the hand turner that are available from Sinclair and others (K&M is a good product).

Handloading is easy, fun, and allows for tailored ammo. Start slow and keep good notes. Soon most of what is discussed will make sense and you will be able to tweak your setup to meet your particular goals.

Enjoy...

Jerry

The Nosler data correlates closer to what we see in our tests than the other reloading manuals, for what it is worth. It would be a solid place to start.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.