Reloader 26 replacement?

RL17? There are a few people on here running it with 200 grn bullets with pretty good speed. I switched to 26 for my 200 grn and up, use 17 for 200 and below. I was in the same situation with my 300 WSM. Was down to my last lb of 26. Started to sweat a little. Went to several places to no avail. Called my brother who manages the shipping/receiving at sportsman's warehouse. He told me to join the back of the line, he's had people waiting for months for it.lol. Then I happened to stumble into a gun store on Monday not 15 miles from my house. He had 8 lbs of 26, same lot number. I'm good now!

I thought about giving the RL23 a try as well but I do not have a super long chamber. I am hesitant to mess with RL17 because to my knowledge it isn't temp stable, I know RL26 isn't either but it's very consistent and predictable.

Quickloads actually says N560 would be the next best powder below R-26 for velocity. N-565 and R-23 are down a bit due to case fill. I think you can get N-560 around. Well maybe not. I looked at a few places and they were all out of N560 too. It might be easier to find then N570 though.

RL26 is/was my go to for the 6.5 PRC. It just works so well. Stock is getting low, cant find any anywhere. So, started workups with RL22 and RL25. IMR7828 will be next; all with the 147ELDm. 1st workup found great accuracy with RL22, although velocity was lower. RL25, velocity was close, accuracy was not. Using powders I have right now..... 7828 is next up on the block. Rumors circulating about saying RL26 is coming; yawn; been hearing this for the last 3 months….

I was going to say RL33 , 8133 and 4000 IMR. I mainly use Retumbo and H1000 and sometimes RL25 in my larger cases. Just starting to experiment with 8133 and RL33 a little. Have yet to try 4000. I'm guessing IMR 7977 would be a good choice for 300 WSM and probably 300 Win Mag also.

Last edited:
Be careful with RL22. It is VERY tempurature sensitive. Load and use when it is cool. Don't shoot it when it is warmer weather otherwise you may get excessive pressures.
We had good results using Hodgdon 4831 and Hornady 220 round nose on pigs out of a 300 short mag. Stupid accurate for what it was

I'm in the same boat as everyone with RL26. I was planning on using my .260 rem for elk this coming fall, since it would be the best caliber I currently own. Shooting it in a standard .260 rem chamber w/ 26" barrel I was able to hit 3k FPS with a 143 eld!! Although I had best accuracy at 2900-2950. I talked to my local powder supplier and he put an order in for 40lbs but he said all of the distributors(6) he has access to don't know when it will be coming in. So I ordered a new Browning X-bolt Max LR in .300 WM because of this silly powder being unobtainable. Oh the excuses we can come up with to buy new guns!!

I'm in the same boat as everyone with RL26. I was planning on using my .260 rem for elk this coming fall, since it would be the best caliber I currently own. Shooting it in a standard .260 rem chamber w/ 26" barrel I was able to hit 3k FPS with a 143 eld!! Although I had best accuracy at 2900-2950. I talked to my local powder supplier and he put an order in for 40lbs but he said all of the distributors(6) he has access to don't know when it will be coming in. So I ordered a new Browning X-bolt Max LR in .300 WM because of this silly powder being unobtainable. Oh the excuses we can come up with to buy new guns!!
New gun new gun new gun!!!

So i am one of many who are falling victim to the RL26 addiction and now, the shortage and I am looking at a different powder. From data i have seen on an unrelated post it showed that H1000 and Retumbo were right in the same wheelhouse on burn rate. Does this sound accurate?

I am loading for my 300 WSM and 215gr Bergers. With RL26 I can get 2840fps with an ES of 19. Has anyone used H1000 or Retumbo in a WSM? I have had a decent amount of success with 7828ssc, it just produced slower velocities but may just go back to that. I'm getting a little tired of the constant wild goose chase for RL26.

Be careful with RL22. It is VERY tempurature sensitive. Load and use when it is cool. Don't shoot it when it is warmer weather otherwise you may get excessive pressures.
When I started reloading I had a good hunting load for a 300wm with RL22...the next summer I found out exactly what temperature sensitivity was!!

I found out the same way with a cool spring load work-up and a summer-like heat wave at the beginning of October deer season opening.
I had the opposite happen ,developed loads in Florida in the eighties temperature wise, hunting in Alabama 26° you might as well been shooting to 308. point of impact changed, velocity fell off the face of the Earth. no more reloader 22.