Relatively new reloader looking for feed back

Well what I have told anybody looking into developing a reloading system and are new to it is to go to you tube and look up Ryan Pahl.

It gives a lot of great info that will answer a lot of questions. The guy goes from knowing nothing to becoming a PRS shooter. I doubt if that is your goal but it's great info on loading.

I'm sure I will hear back on this but it helps to put the puzzle pieces together. It's a series of episodes though.

Also, as others have said find out how long you can make the rounds so that they work in your mag. I always do the dummy round thing where you have a loose dummy shell and cycle the round. Measure the CBTO and make your rounds .020 shorter if you a using for hunting. That can be adjusted in and out.
If you can make the round longer than Factory size then you can get away with adding more powder with faster speeds and still keep your pressure down.
My load is 41.8 H4350. 143 ELDX. 2750 FPS. No signs of pressure.
My 2 cents.
Good luck and happy reloading

Well what I have told anybody looking into developing a reloading system and are new to it is to go to you tube and look up Ryan Pahl.

It gives a lot of great info that will answer a lot of questions. The guy goes from knowing nothing to becoming a PRS shooter. I doubt if that is your goal but it's great info on loading.

I'm sure I will hear back on this but it has tons of great info that put the puzzle pieces together. It's a series of episodes though.

Also, as others have said find out how long you can make the rounds so that they work in your mag. I always do the dummy round thing where you have a loose dummy shell and cycle the round. Measure the CBTO and make your rounds .020 shorter if you a using for hunting. That can be adjusted in and out.
If you can make the round longer than Factory size then you can get away with adding more powder with faster speeds and still keep your pressure down.
My load is 41.8 H4350. 143 ELDX. 2750 FPS. No signs of pressure.
My 2 cents.
Good luck and happy reloading

Two thumbs up. Develop a load, get your gun. Go hunting. While you're there don't take a shot that is more than 50% of what you can do on the range. A friend told me that - and you will never had to chase a wounded animal.

Been asked what i shoot
Well i have a fully custom 338 lap mag sat it ax furniture using lapua brass and sierra bullets in 250 gamekings
Ase moderator
And an rpa hand built using aw furniture in good old 308 win
Sierra 165 gamekings
Lapua brass
338 goes to 2000 and is a thug
The 308 does to 800 with super accuracy is my everyday worktool
Thank you for the work you do for all of us in the free world!

i'm the only one who thinks all this ladder testing is such a waste of bullets, powder and barrel.
Until you put your gun in a MACHINE rest, like the old Ransom, no one will, I should say (MOST) people cant shoot 5 rounds exactly the same.

in my worthless opinion, you're there. The Havoc is a great rifle and should shoot factory match ammo in .75 or less. If you REALLY want better, you should have saved up another $2-3K and built a complete custom rifle. You might get to .50 MOA or less

I wound find a range out to at least 500yrds, see what she does then. If you can CONSISTENTLY shoot MOA groups you will be fine for any game you want to play

get your muzzle Vel, build you ballistic drop chart and start twisting turrets,

just my .02

No, you're not the only one, buzz... NeedforSpeed wants to shoot deer in Florida at a maximum range of 300 yards. Yes, he's BEYOND "there" already. All of the preceding advice is fine and dandy if you're going to make loads for competition or hunting shots beyond 500 yards. The only thing I'd change if it were me would be the brass if it wasn't initially fired in THAT rifle. The fact you got it to chamber without a hassle says alot for your reloading skills already. One thing nobody has mentioned is that you need to be checking your brass AFTER any sizing you do with a concentricity gauge. Any runout in the neck BEFORE loading greater than .003" is going to equate to larger groups than would otherwise be possible with more concentric necks. Turning necks isn't the answer. You'll simply end up with a thinner non-concentric neck. Sometimes full length sizing can get out enough runout to qualify the piece as accuracy capable. Sometimes it makes it worse, or makes very food new brass junk by imparting .005" or more. If I know I have really good concentric brass ala Lapua, Norma, or Nosler, I will only run the sizing button in far enough to take imperfections out of the case mouth. However you do it, you also need to impart consistent neck tension by using either a bushing die OR the easiest and cheapest way is to get a Lee factory crimp die and crimp every round AFTER running your loaded rounds through a Hornady concentricity gauge. This is different than the original gauge we used to check the brass necks. I use the Sinclair gauge for that. The Hornady machine checks concentricity up on the bullet shank between the case mouth where it's seated and its ogive. Then, it has a mechanism to correct the runout (if any, given you started with good consistent cases). I correct to .001" or less. So the LAST step is to set final neck tension with the crimp die. I like this method best because with a bushing die, you impart tension BEFORE seating the bullet. Because of metallurgical properties of the brass, this may or may not give you exact and even tension on every case. If you like Hornady brass, that's fine. Hornady has improved on their QC in the past couple of years. You'll just have to go through more cases to find 5 that are both under .003" of neck runout and within a grain (or half grain, whatever your limit) of weight of each other to make a group. BTW, weight sorting is important for small groups, too. It's not as important as concentricity (proven by experimentation), but does matter when weights drift farther than a grain among a group of cases. Lastly, use IMR 4451 taking 1 grain off each charge you fired and try the groups again. As a matter of fact, do that before you do anything else I've suggested so we can do our 1 variable at a time. Then go back to your H4350 and try the considerations I've mentioned. Then use the techniques I described with IMR 4451. Finally, do yourself a HUGE favor if you're going to keep that 6.5 Creedmoor and invest in a good supply of Norma 203B. Simply changing powders will cut your group size down like all the good techniques listed in this thread combined. You'll need to reduce charge about 3 grains from your listed H4350 loads, but once you find max, you're eyes will pop when you see the difference over the chrono AND on the target. 203B is the only powder I've ever seen that will guarantee you your best group with about any cartridge and bullet combination appropriate for its burn rate. Somehow this powder creates a node in every barrel I've shot it in with perhaps one exception that I can think of. You will use way less of it and achieve higher velocity and better groups even if you do nothing else differently. If you try IMR 4451 and Norma 203B, even without purchasing the 2 concentricity gauges or changing brass, or setting consistent neck tension, you'll start to grin when you see paper and chrono readings. I like the ProChrono personally, and if you don't use a chronograph, you'll never appreciate the difference in what I'm telling you. This is something I'm not asking you to take my word for, but something you can prove on your own range.

But lastly, don't forget that any changes you make beyond this point to your loading techniques and any subsequent range sessions to test different components is totally unnecessary to your stated goal. You have already demonstrated accuracy more than capable to killing deer at 300 yards. Anything else you do is simply to satisfy your desire to get all those 5 holes on top of each other on that paper target on the range and will have no bearing on your ultimate purpose. And when you see the difference I'm telling you you'll see doing what I've recommended, you can wonder if I'm such a genious or if your barrel just broke in to its "sweet spot". Because I'm here to tell you, the more you shoot and clean that new rifle, the better it's going to shoot out to a certain point. You may have reached that point, but I doubt it. In other words, your rifle will become more accurate with a little time and proper cleaning rituals.

Consistent brass fireformed in that chamber or new,

Brass case neck concentricity less than .003",

Weight sorted brass to no more than a grain variation in a group,

Mechanically "straightened" rounds using a Hornady concentricity tool,

Consistent neck tension on loaded rounds with Lee factory crimp die,

Use of IMR 4451 and Norma 203B

These are steps for you to get a tighter group and/or a faster group; however, they will not allow you to kill a deer any deader than you can already do with exactly what you have now.

I don't like wasting time and money at the range. You'll be half way to another barrel if you try to employ all the rhetoric contained herein. If you like shooting and tinkering trying to fix something that ain't broken enough, then go for it! Do get a chrono to calculate exact trajectory and energy and to compare the results of the 2 "super powders" I turned you on to- not because you need to concern yourself with extreme spread if keeping shots 400 yards and under. I'll go ahead and say "you're welcome!"

No, you're not the only one, buzz... NeedforSpeed wants to shoot deer in Florida at a maximum range of 300 yards. Yes, he's BEYOND "there" already. All of the preceding advice is fine and dandy if you're going to make loads for competition or hunting shots beyond 500 yards. The only thing I'd change if it were me would be the brass if it wasn't initially fired in THAT rifle. The fact you got it to chamber without a hassle says alot for your reloading skills already. One thing nobody has mentioned is that you need to be checking your brass AFTER any sizing you do with a concentricity gauge. Any runout in the neck BEFORE loading greater than .003" is going to equate to larger groups than would otherwise be possible with more concentric necks. Turning necks isn't the answer. You'll simply end up with a thinner non-concentric neck. Sometimes full length sizing can get out enough runout to qualify the piece as accuracy capable. Sometimes it makes it worse, or makes very food new brass junk by imparting .005" or more. If I know I have really good concentric brass ala Lapua, Norma, or Nosler, I will only run the sizing button in far enough to take imperfections out of the case mouth. However you do it, you also need to impart consistent neck tension by using either a bushing die OR the easiest and cheapest way is to get a Lee factory crimp die and crimp every round AFTER running your loaded rounds through a Hornady concentricity gauge. This is different than the original gauge we used to check the brass necks. I use the Sinclair gauge for that. The Hornady machine checks concentricity up on the bullet shank between the case mouth where it's seated and its ogive. Then, it has a mechanism to correct the runout (if any, given you started with good consistent cases). I correct to .001" or less. So the LAST step is to set final neck tension with the crimp die. I like this method best because with a bushing die, you impart tension BEFORE seating the bullet. Because of metallurgical properties of the brass, this may or may not give you exact and even tension on every case. If you like Hornady brass, that's fine. Hornady has improved on their QC in the past couple of years. You'll just have to go through more cases to find 5 that are both under .003" of neck runout and within a grain (or half grain, whatever your limit) of weight of each other to make a group. BTW, weight sorting is important for small groups, too. It's not as important as concentricity (proven by experimentation), but does matter when weights drift farther than a grain among a group of cases. Lastly, use IMR 4451 taking 1 grain off each charge you fired and try the groups again. As a matter of fact, do that before you do anything else I've suggested so we can do our 1 variable at a time. Then go back to your H4350 and try the considerations I've mentioned. Then use the techniques I described with IMR 4451. Finally, do yourself a HUGE favor if you're going to keep that 6.5 Creedmoor and invest in a good supply of Norma 203B. Simply changing powders will cut your group size down like all the good techniques listed in this thread combined. You'll need to reduce charge about 3 grains from your listed H4350 loads, but once you find max, you're eyes will pop when you see the difference over the chrono AND on the target. 203B is the only powder I've ever seen that will guarantee you your best group with about any cartridge and bullet combination appropriate for its burn rate. Somehow this powder creates a node in every barrel I've shot it in with perhaps one exception that I can think of. You will use way less of it and achieve higher velocity and better groups even if you do nothing else differently. If you try IMR 4451 and Norma 203B, even without purchasing the 2 concentricity gauges or changing brass, or setting consistent neck tension, you'll start to grin when you see paper and chrono readings. I like the ProChrono personally, and if you don't use a chronograph, you'll never appreciate the difference in what I'm telling you. This is something I'm not asking you to take my word for, but something you can prove on your own range.

But lastly, don't forget that any changes you make beyond this point to your loading techniques and any subsequent range sessions to test different components is totally unnecessary to your stated goal. You have already demonstrated accuracy more than capable to killing deer at 300 yards. Anything else you do is simply to satisfy your desire to get all those 5 holes on top of each other on that paper target on the range and will have no bearing on your ultimate purpose. And when you see the difference I'm telling you you'll see doing what I've recommended, you can wonder if I'm such a genious or if your barrel just broke in to its "sweet spot". Because I'm here to tell you, the more you shoot and clean that new rifle, the better it's going to shoot out to a certain point. You may have reached that point, but I doubt it. In other words, your rifle will become more accurate with a little time and proper cleaning rituals.

These are steps for you to get a tighter group and/or a faster group; however, they will not allow you to kill a deer any deader than you can already do with exactly what you have now.

I don't like wasting time and money at the range. You'll be half way to another barrel if you try to employ all the rhetoric contained herein. If you like shooting and tinkering trying to fix something that ain't broken enough, then go for it! Do get a chrono to calculate exact trajectory and energy and to compare the results of the 2 "super powders" I turned you on to- not because you need to concern yourself with extreme spread if keeping shots 400 yards and under. I'll go ahead and say "you're welcome!"
Thats awesome
Thanks for all of that and for taking the time to help

That's long range, dude.
Thank you for the work you do for all of us in the free world!

Really good analysis.

I think 1 hole is the goal. If you're hunting whitetail in Texas, 1MOA, 500 yards? How many animals get wounded and run off? In your example, you have not taken into consideration wind or shooter error. Now you have a 10" circle. This is a hunting forum and I don't like chasing wounded animals. I prefer 1 shot, 1 kill. Aim small, miss small and all or those cute sayings that remind us of our purpose. Just my thoughts.
Sure, one hole is the goal. But for a new reloader and someone new to precision shooting, he is setting himself up for disappointment if he feels like he is screwing up unless he can consistently hit .4 with his self developed load. If it is windy and he feels like there is a good chance of shooter error, don't take a 500 yd shot. I have been reloading and precision shooting for about 5 years. The longest shot I took until this past fall was 290 yds. And i only felt comfortable this past fall bc I have taken 2 two day classes and spent a ton of range time from 300 to 1000. I won't take a shot I don't feel comfortable with, and I think that should apply to everyone, not just those that focus on long range.

Last edited:
If any of that was aimed at me, get you're stuff together @ 600 yards on the range if you want to kill @ 300 yards.
I don't think you can make any hard and fast rules about distance based on a random 50% number. Why not 40%, or why not 60%?

When at the range, are you practicing hunting shot conditions? Last year I practiced sitting and using sticks and felt very comfortable out to 300 - essentially mimicking field conditions other than he fact it was steel and not an animal. Should i have limited myself to 150 in the field? If I had a decent spot to sit in the field and felt good about the shot I would have taken a 300 yd shot. Off a backpack and rear bag I was comfortable beyond that, maybe 750 in the right conditions. I was able to get a very good setup in the field on a backpack and bag and took a shot that i felt good about at 581.

If someone is using a lead sled at the range, then sure, that is far away from field conditions and needs to be taken into account. But if the shot in the field is similar then I don't think you can use 50% as gospel. Each shooter needs to know their comfort in field conditions.

Last edited:
I found that it helps to ensure concentricity helps. I use the Hornady concentricity gauge. I get mine to .002 or less, and most are less than .001. Having already "played" with powder charge and seating depth, this sort of ices the cake for me. I am shooting at 600 yards right now, and the groups are all under .3 MOA. The main issue at this point is working on the minor operator errors.

I found that it helps to ensure concentricity helps. I use the Hornady concentricity gauge. I get mine to .002 or less, and most are less than .001. Having already "played" with powder charge and seating depth, this sort of ices the cake for me. I am shooting at 600 yards right now, and the groups are all under .3 MOA. The main issue at this point is working on the minor operator errors.
Forgot to mention - I am only shooting long range targets.

I don't like chasing wounded animals. I did once. Bowhunting for elk in Northern Arizona. Had a cow tag and found her 2 days later. She was trying to pull the arrow out before she died and the meat was ruined. You're taking a life. Do it cleanly. On the other hand after I learned that lesson my last elk (6x7, around 700lbs) was at about 350 yards and I dropped her in her tracks. Steaks were great.

I don't think you can make any hard and fast rules about distance based on a random 50% number. Why not 40%, or why not 60%?

When at the range, are you practicing hunting shot conditions? Last year I practiced sitting and using sticks and felt very comfortable out to 300 - essentially mimicking field conditions other than he fact it was steel and not an animal. Should i have limited myself to 150 in the field? If I had a decent spot to sit in the field and felt good about the shot I would have taken a 300 yd shot. Off a backpack and rear bag I was comfortable beyond that, maybe 750 in the right conditions. I was able to get a very good setup in the field on a backpack and bag and took a shot that i felt good about at 581.

If someone is using a lead sled at the range, then sure, that is far away from field conditions and needs to be taken into account. But if the shot in the field is similar then I don't think you can use 50% as gospel. Each shooter needs to know their comfort in field conditions.
It's a rule of thumb. You confirm my thoughts: "Each shooter needs to know their comfort in field conditions." Never had to take a second shot. Deer, elk. Birds, not too great ;) Best of the West in Austin, Texas. 1000 yard range and you have to qualify to shoot over 250. Some idiot was shooting a 50cal and launching projectiles into houses is why.

Up to 20mph winds. Do you know how far that moves your bullet @ 750yds in a cross wind? Full value, 3/4 value, half value? And it's not constant over distance. You have to look at how trees are moving and make a best estimate.

Sure, it was bench rest. But, don't forget to factor in temperature, air density, spin drift, etc... They all add up to a big miss if you don't do it all right.

You should not limit yourself to 150. My 11 year old girl does that every day.

This is a LONG range hunting forum. So take my comments in perspective, please.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.