Relatively new reloader looking for feed back

You haven't mentioned what your CBTO is for these loads- how far off the lands are you & to you have a max length that you know of? EG are you loading to your max magazine length?

In my short 10 years of reloading experience I have found that CBTO can directly impact group size.

I start all my LD regimes at 10 thou, find the node/s going through the incremental charges then change my CBTO to 5 thou & to 15 & 20 with the best performing charge, if the group improves but its still not amazing I will then do small incremental powder changes on that result.
Not often have I to go any further before finding the perfect depth, that's my method anyway, I usually have a result within 40 rounds,

If I haven't I swap powders OR try another projectile which I have only had to do twice when loading for 7 different cartridges & up to 3 projectile types in a single rifle but never ventured more than 20 thou.

So I would be using the 40.3 & 41.5 loads & changing the CBTO closer to the lands & also further from the lands to see if it brings either group in.

Smallest SD does NOT gaurantee best groups, however chances are better for consistent groups that may be more noticeable at extended ranges. If my shooting is limited to no more than 450 or so yards, than I would not be so concerned with SD and would concentrate on achieving small groups.

I live in Florida and the only long range shots are at the range. I'm developing this load for a hunting rifle that probably won't shoot an animal at more than 300 yds. It might be over kill but I'd like to optimize the load for maximum accuracy. No such thing as too good.

You haven't mentioned what your CBTO is for these loads- how far off the lands are you & to you have a max length that you know of? EG are you loading to your max magazine length?

In my short 10 years of reloading experience I have found that CBTO can directly impact group size.

I start all my LD regimes at 10 thou, find the node/s going through the incremental charges then change my CBTO to 5 thou & to 15 & 20 with the best performing charge, if the group improves but its still not amazing I will then do small incremental powder changes on that result.
Not often have I to go any further before finding the perfect depth, that's my method anyway, I usually have a result within 40 rounds,

If I haven't I swap powders OR try another projectile which I have only had to do twice when loading for 7 different cartridges & up to 3 projectile types in a single rifle but never ventured more than 20 thou.

So I would be using the 40.3 & 41.5 loads & changing the CBTO closer to the lands & also further from the lands to see if it brings either group in.

Lot of good stuff there. Thank you!
I built these at the recommended by Hornady COAL of 2.800
I have a base to ogive caliber and the rounds were consistent
I m new to this and haven't gotten into adjusting depth to lands yet. That will be next. My impression was that was more fine tuning or tweaking after getting good groups and chrono, but I could be wrong

It's about barrel vibration. Try some different powders to see if you gain or lose velocity/accuracy. Need to chrono for true efficiency & knowledge. A different powder may well give better groups & better velocity or perhaps worse. You will never know unless you try. Part of the fun & mystery of reloading.

It's about barrel vibration. Try some different powders to see if you gain or lose velocity/accuracy. Need to chrono for true efficiency & knowledge. A different powder may well give better groups & better velocity or perhaps worse. You will never know unless you try. Part of the fun & mystery of reloading.

How individually & to what extent everyone gets into reloading from the start is different.
I wanted to know as much as I could not only about the processes but the equipment that will get me into some very decent handloads.
So after around 3 months research & with a long list of equipment to buy I started.

Along with my press kit, redding type S bushing dies, comp seater etc came some of what I think are basic gauges that everyone should have in their kit.
Hornady OAL gauge, Hornady comparators, Hornady headspace gauges.
Not only to me are these essential for die set up but giving you all the information & recordable measurements for every load you do.

Imo incremental powder changes will only get you so far, CBTO again Imo is another key to fine tuning a load, both combined should give you results.

I would highly recommend you do your own research on this gear, for a small outlay its with you forever & you will get recordable/measurable results & quicker.

Lot of good stuff there. Thank you!
I built these at the recommended by Hornady COAL of 2.800
I have a base to ogive caliber and the rounds were consistent
I m new to this and haven't gotten into adjusting depth to lands yet. That will be next. My impression was that was more fine tuning or tweaking after getting good groups and chrono, but I could be wrong

As an example of what changing seating depth can do this is a picture of some LD I have just started for a new rifle.
All the same powder charge but 3 different depths.
.22-250.jpg

I dare to say in the top group the right hand shot was me but its given me enough to continue re testing & working around that 10thou load.
My initial tests are at .5gr increments so my next move is to use that CBTO measurement & do some .1 increments either side of 33.1gr & see what happens.

I am still reasonably happy with this group anyway as its just for a hunting rifle, I only had 1 day at the range with this new rifle before leaving for a trip & loaded rounds of the 33.1gr @ 1.984 up for the trip, still took down everything I aimed at :D

Last edited:
I started reloading in October and have learned a lot but still a newbie
I am reloading for my Seekins Havak Pro Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and thought I'd try some different charges and see how they compare
I used once fired Hornady brass and deburred the flash primer hole then trimmed all brass to 1.915 inches. Loaded all with H4350 at .3 gn increments with a RCBS Chargemaster Lite
Went to the range and shot 6 five round charges and this is what I got (I shot all of a charge before proceeding to the next charge in increasing charges to check for pressure signs)
It was about 80 degrees and I tried to let the barrel cool between rounds
I shot 10 rds in a 30 min period with a break between periods and this is what I got
I did not chrono- thought I'd check accuracy first then chrono before making a final decision
I putting this out there for those with more experience to discuss
I thought my best groups would be near max charge but I got two good initial groups at 40.3 and 40.6 then two not so great,
then a decent group at 41.5
Does this data make sense? I'm just wondering if I should accept these results and load at 40.3 or re do it and see if a faster load
I shot 5 rounds at 41.8 which is slightly over max load and started seeing early pressure signs
View attachment 133119 View attachment 133120 View attachment 133121 View attachment 133122 View attachment 133123 View attachment 133124 View attachment 133125 View attachment 133126

I would reshoot 39.4 gr. Looks like almost no vertical, and the horizontal could have been wind or shooter induced.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.