Relatively new reloader looking for feed back

NeedForSpeed

I started reloading in October and have learned a lot but still a newbie
I am reloading for my Seekins Havak Pro Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor and thought I'd try some different charges and see how they compare
I used once fired Hornady brass and deburred the flash primer hole then trimmed all brass to 1.915 inches. Loaded all with H4350 at .3 gn increments with a RCBS Chargemaster Lite
Went to the range and shot 6 five round charges and this is what I got (I shot all of a charge before proceeding to the next charge in increasing charges to check for pressure signs)
It was about 80 degrees and I tried to let the barrel cool between rounds
I shot 10 rds in a 30 min period with a break between periods and this is what I got
I did not chrono- thought I'd check accuracy first then chrono before making a final decision
I putting this out there for those with more experience to discuss
I thought my best groups would be near max charge but I got two good initial groups at 40.3 and 40.6 then two not so great,
then a decent group at 41.5
Does this data make sense? I'm just wondering if I should accept these results and load at 40.3 or re do it and see if a faster load
I shot 5 rounds at 41.8 which is slightly over max load and started seeing early pressure signs
EFA0C7AC-A72C-47DA-82D3-C02A4490A65F.jpeg
0C5A7BF9-7CBD-4D1F-97C8-0594FDCEA40D.jpeg
F526A2D8-8670-49BA-9899-455C8A4BBD66.jpeg
ACD502AB-E7F3-4BCA-B24A-6C6D5C65C301.jpeg
07A1EDC3-A6E2-4936-A488-7CCAFEF97865.jpeg
8E79A688-4405-43D5-BC72-AF9285D8727A.jpeg
44F7759D-805F-40E0-AA7C-22376BB45AA8.jpeg
49C87BD0-0152-444C-8579-60D1F5F417D6.jpeg

I would repeat your best two group loads and see if you get the same results. After determining your best group/load, then try playing with seating depth to see if it will tighten up. By the way, what projectiles are you shooting?

Sorry tried to cover all variables but forgot the projectile
Hornady ELD X 143 gn

Can you explain your thinking? Is there anything about the groups that concerns you or makes you question their validity? I'm trying to learn here, not questioning your opinion

Redoing will help eliminate any doubt in shooter influence. Also, the barrel will Let you know what it likes regardless of what you think the load should be. I personally like the 40.3 load and would also play with the 40.9 load with respect to seating depth. Also, the next time out start with the opposite load as you did initially, which may make a difference since the barrel is some what heated...not cold bore. Good luck

Redoing will help eliminate any doubt in shooter influence. Also, the barrel will Let you know what it likes regardless of what you think the load should be. I personally like the 40.3 load and would also play with the 40.9 load with respect to seating depth. Also, the next time out start with the opposite load as you did initially, which may make a difference since the barrel is some what heated...not cold bore. Good luck

Thanks for your suggestions
I was thinking that I should reverse the order to ensure fatigue and/ or barrel temp didn't influence the results
What about the 40.9 load makes you think it could be a winner? Personal experience or my results?

The best advice I can give is that you should chronograph all shots! Therefore you could see where your node is. ES comes becomes a big factor at longer ranges. - Good Luck

I thought about chronographing them but I have a Magnetospeed and it changes the POI so I thought I'd see where the tightest groups were first
Do they still group the same with a Magnetospeed on the barrel?

I thought about chronographing them but I have a Magnetospeed and it changes the POI so I thought I'd see where the tightest groups were first
Do they still group the same with a Magnetospeed on the barrel?[/QUOTE
My experience with Magnetospeed is that POI may change, but group size does not.

Do they still group the same with a Magnetospeed on the barrel?

When you reload you need to focus on consistency and collecting as much data as possible. Make only 1 change (variable) at a time. More than 1 change will provide you with invalid data.

The Magnetospeed is nice, but it will change the harmonics in your barrel, in which you already saw the effects since you stated that it changes the impact. A change in barrel harmonics will change the point of impact. *I'm not 100% how it effects grouping and since I am not sure, this is why I opt for a chronograph.*

Last edited:
E5A5B42A-7C62-4D32-B84C-3AA79CB1BBB5.jpeg
418D977B-CA04-4886-9BBD-7C9784643541.jpeg
I shot these groups the same day with my Ruger precision in 6.5 Creedmoor
They are all relatively tight groups except the last two opened up a bit
Would you go with the 40 gr charge here or do you think there are better options? 3/4 inch red squares

View attachment 133149 View attachment 133150 I shot these groups the same day with my Ruger precision in 6.5 Creedmoor
They are all relatively tight groups except the last two opened up a bit
Would you go with the 40 gr charge here or do you think there are better options? 3/4 inch red squares

For Each group you need to find the average muzzle velocity, extreme spread of the velocity, and the standard deviation. Sometimes you get lucky and the tight group could be the winner! But what if it isn't? (Ex./ @ 40gr you look to have the tightest group, but what if the ES is 50fps? At a long range that 50fps means a lot.) - Once you find your node with a low SD, then you can play with the seating depth too fine tune for tighter groups.

For Each group you need to find the average muzzle velocity, extreme spread of the velocity, and the standard deviation. Sometimes you get lucky and the tight group could be the winner! But what if it isn't? (Ex./ @ 40gr you look to have the tightest group, but what if the ES is 50fps? At a long range that 50fps means a lot.) - Once you find your node with a low SD, then you can play with the seating depth too fine tune for tighter groups.

So you chrono the rounds first then work the closest spread and lowest sd and try to tighten up the group by changing seating depth? What if the smallest sd doesn't shoot the tightest group?

So you chrono the rounds first then work the closest spread and lowest sd and try to tighten up the group by changing seating depth? What if the smallest sd doesn't shoot the tightest group?

Smallest SD does NOT gaurantee best groups, however chances are better for consistent groups that may be more noticeable at extended ranges. If my shooting is limited to no more than 450 or so yards, than I would not be so concerned with SD and would concentrate on achieving small groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.