Redding "S" dies ..................

Greg Duerr

I have been using the Redding S Dies for my .243 AI and have been using the .272 Bushing. I bought a .271 bushing as the .272 just did not seem tight enough. Never thought much about it until I loaded up four rounds that had been sized with the .272 and four with the .271.......................Well the .272 gave me a group size of .304 and the .271 gave me a group size of .775 Huge difference. So i went back and strated checking and found that my tight groups were always neck sized the the .272......................The reason I went .001 smaller was that the bullet could not be moved with the tighter neck but if you pushed or pulled on the .272 you could change the bullet seating deapth..............................Never thought that that little difference would make that much difference..................You never know about reloading.

You might be able to maintain the smaller group size if you were to use the .271 bushing and apply graphite dry lube inside the necks before loading the brass. Sounds like your rifle likes things a little looser. But being able to change seating depth with your fingers is no good. Unless its only a bench rifle.

Joe.

Joe

Great point I will clean the inside of my necks and dry lub them...........never thought of that. I will load up and test it thanks.

I have not removed anything from them other than insert the bushing. I like the accuracy I dont like the idea that the bullets with a little pressue can move in or out..................

No question - bullets moving is a bad thing. My experience with the "S" dies is that if your bushing is tight enough to just barely cause the expander to make contact on the upstroke (handle upstroke, case moving down after neck sizing), there is sufficient tension to hold bullets tight without over sizing the necks. With your .272 bushing is the expander engaging the sized neck?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.