Redding Micrometer Seating Stem on Lee or RCBS

CleanShot

Hello

Does anyone know if the Redding micrometer seating stem fits on the Lee or RCBS dies. I know the Hornady Microjust only fits Hornady New Dimensions dies. Not so sure about the Redding.

Thanks
Sam

But that seems per caliber.

exactly. they will all be caliber specific. If not you have taught me something.

Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Die 7mm Remington Mag

look as I have told you in the past you really don't need all these fancy reloading tools to load excellent ammo. A regular seating die will do fine until you are tryng to turn a 3/4" group into a 1/2" group.

take what you have if it is a set of RCBS dies and get to it. You have a lot to learn before deciding the way you want to go with reloading

I bought all the stuff you told me. I'm just exploring other items while my order comes in :).

The Hornady MicroJust and the Redding Add-on Micrometer seating stems are not caliber specific. They are add ons which can be put on their regular non-micrometer dies. They seem interesting in that you can buy their regular dies and then just flip the micrometer add on in and out and simply record the adjustment for a given bullet.

I machine my own. My stems are bullet specific, not caliber specific.

yeah I'm not going to do this. I don't have the skill nor the equipment nor the time. You're right they aren't caliber specific so much as bullet but if you get a die with the built in micrometer it makes it caliber specific.

Allow me to clarify a bit....

I only use RCBS Gold Medal Front Load seater dies for easting and John Whidden bushing dies for sizing. The front load RCBS die has it's seater stem secured to the micrometer thimble with a button shaped allen screw so ichanging seater stems is as easy as taking one out and putting one in and BTW, RCBS offers bullet specific stems for it's GM front load seaters.

I happen to load Bergers and they have an extra long ogive so I machine my own to match the ogive so as not to mar the pill when I seat it.

For someone getting their 'feet wet', Whidden dies are an unnecessary and unneeded expense. When you learn what you are doing, then it's time to invest in some bushing dies with full floating expander balls which result in very concentric ammunition.... but thats later.

I've been doing this stuff for years so I get value from top shelf equipment but I started out with ordinary Lee dies way back when...

I bought all the stuff you told me. I'm just exploring other items while my order comes in :).

The Hornady MicroJust and the Redding Add-on Micrometer seating stems are not caliber specific. They are add ons which can be put on their regular non-micrometer dies. They seem interesting in that you can buy their regular dies and then just flip the micrometer add on in and out and simply record the adjustment for a given bullet.

If it were only that simple. yes redding makes the micrometer head you can install on their seating dies.

I like the micrometer adjustment for its accuracy and fine adjustment but I still use calipers and the hornady bullet comparator to set my seating depth. sounds like a great idea to just write down the settings but it has never worked for me.

Unless you are using a lot of different bullets or changing seating depths often just a regular seating die works fine. Once you find your bullet and load lock it down and forget it.

Gotcha... but you're right. That's well beyond my capabilities or needs at this point. I was just hoping a micrometer stem that can be moved from die to die would help me get a bit more consistency is all.

If it were only that simple. yes redding makes the micrometer head you can install on their seating dies.

I like the micrometer adjustment for its accuracy and fine adjustment but I still use calipers and the hornady bullet comparator to set my seating depth. sounds like a great idea to just write down the settings but it has never worked for me.

Unless you are using a lot of different bullets or changing seating depths often just a regular seating die works fine. Once you find your bullet and load lock it down and forget it.

Make sense. It's probably just until you get your load/bullet in order and then never to be touched again.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.