Red dot vs Scope

Bigeclipse

All,
I have been turkey hunting for 3 years now. I have not got a gobbler yet but I have seen a few and actually called two in last year but they busted me before presenting a shot (my mistake haha). I have to say, I am an avid deer hunter but turkey hunting is a blast! Anyways, I have patterned my shotgun (12gauge) with the new Winchester longbeard xr #5 shot. I have to say this stuff is the only stuff that will pattern well with my shotgun and I actually would feel comfortable taking a turkey at 50yards but would likely limit myself to 40. Anyways, the pattern at 20 yards is relatively tight, about the size of a softball so I am highly considering a red dot or scope to eliminate misses at close range. What do you all recommend?

I have been eyeballing the burris fastfire III. Great reviews. Quick target acquisition and apparently very bright dot so no issue with sunlight. I guess it is also waterproof/resistant so no issue with rain either. negative would be if battery fails/dies, then you are up sh#ts creak although id probably bring a spare battery with me anyways.

Pluses for scope would be you could go 2x which may help with further shots? not sure if that is really necessary. No batteries so very little things to go wrong.

thoughts?

I've used both over the years. I have no experience with the FastFire but have heard good reviews. My turkey gun now has a Leupold turkey scope and I love it. Has been great and has accounted for several long beards since I've put it on my 12 gauge TC Encore.

What I like about it, no batteries! Forces you to put your cheek down on the stock where it should be. Has a turkey plex rectical that gives you a quick idea of yardage. Is a Leupold and takes the recoil of a heavy turkey load.

I've used both over the years. I have no experience with the FastFire but have heard good reviews. My turkey gun now has a Leupold turkey scope and I love it. Has been great and has accounted for several long beards since I've put it on my 12 gauge TC Encore.

What I like about it, no batteries! Forces you to put your cheek down on the stock where it should be. Has a turkey plex rectical that gives you a quick idea of yardage. Is a Leupold and takes the recoil of a heavy turkey load.

ill look into that. I was leaning slightly torwards the fastfire III as I could swap it on to my 44 mag pistol during deer season eliminating the need to buy two scopes (one for shotgun one for pistol).

I have ran a scope, red dot, and plain sights. I prefer plain sight, I have a fiber optic bead at the end of my barrel. Just less that can go wrong, now if I was strictly hunting from a blind a red dot it would be, but I feel they can give off to much glare in the woods.

I tried a scope with plenty of eye relief I thought. Well I had a tom come in and I didn't have much cover so I let the bird come in until he was about 20 yds. Then I moved to put the crosshairs on him. Well you can only shoot so far to the right when your right handed. Got the bird plus a gash above my eye. From now on its truglow rifled sites that are adjustable. No problems since.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts