Scope or Red Dot for turkey gun?

Now a complete believer in red not. Finished a one season slam with vortex red dot on Benilli M2. 7-9 TSS blend.

Attachments

• A4D2E2AD-9E72-4307-96EA-F177520EBBE8.jpeg
    A4D2E2AD-9E72-4307-96EA-F177520EBBE8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 151
An update. I went with the Swampfox Justice. Zeroed it in yesterday and initial thoughts is that it is going to work well. Thinking about putting one on my crossbow too.

Been trough the same dilemma myself. My eyesight changed 5 years ago and iron sights just didn't work well enough anymore so it was either a red dot or LPV scope. Unfortunately Nikon's and Leopold's excellent likely best of their kind turkey specific scope were long out of production by this time.
I was left with either using my 2-7x33mm Leupold VariX-II shotgun scopes or my Sig Romeo V 2moa red dot scopes.

Both have their strengths and both have weaknesses. Over all the red dot is better because in my now considerable experience of 4 seasons of use in two states turkey seasons because you can use it with both eyes open, it gives you a much greater field of view VS a regular scope and it allows you to get on and more importantly stay on a moving Tom faster and easier than a regular scope and if like me you strongly prefer fiber optic iron sights on your turkey gun the red dot is far more similar in use and application VS a scope. Also unlike a standard rifle scope your heads position and eye alignment behind a red dot is not critical, as long as you get the red dot on target you will kill the Tom.
Also finding a turkeys head in a scope in very heavy cover can be difficult VS a red dot and can result in getting busted if the Tom spots your head movement trying to spot him as you can't find him in the scope and this is with my VariX-II at 2x.
Lastly there is no eye relief issues with a red dot as recoil of a 12ga 3.5" magnum turkey shell makes a 300wm look meek and so no risk of scope eye with a red dot either and don't ask my son about that one.

But as I hunt public land about 45-55% of the time (100% if out of state) longer shots are very common so a 50-60 yard shot with a red dot is more difficult to aim precisely as a turkeys head is a quite small target.
The ideal solution would be 2x or 3x 2moa red dot scope but the few that exist that can reliably handle the recoil of a 12ga 3.5" magnum are VERY expensive and don't have reticles (that I know of) that lend themselves well to turkey hunting so I am sticking with my 2MOA Sig Romeo V red dot sights for now.
There are some very attractive LPV illuminated reticle scopes made for the AR platform of rifles and I even own two, and there are some in the $150-$200 price range but I would be concerned about their holding up long term to the very considerable recoil forces of a 12ga 3.5" magnum 2oz load of #5 shot turkey shells. I have already killed one supposed shotgun recoil rated scope and red dot both made in Japan by a very reputable scope maker both advertised as rated for 12ga slug guns and both failed first time out at the range during sight in.
Thankfully my Leupold VariX-II's and Sig Romeo V's have held up extremely well.

I switched to a Holosun 508T on my newest turkey gun. I love it. Very easy to pick up targets and have taken 50+ yard shots with it with no issues.

I tried all kinds of scopes and red dot combos. When I carry a gun, I just carry one with front bead. Easy, not affected by rain, or bumps, and if you can call a turkey, he will be in your lap anyway. Partly why I have switched to using a bow most of the time.

To fully answer your question. The best scope I used was the Nikon Monarch 1.5x5 with the turkey circle. Fast target and bright. Took it off to reduce weight and just did not feel it was necessary. If I had to go back with a red dot or scope, I would go back with the Nikon. I should also point out that many times I am taking a kid, or "backing" someone up. In those cases, the scope is in the way on a moving bird.

Several young kids have killed gobblers with my loaner 20 gauge with a red dot. I tell them to put the red dot on the red wattle and squeeze. Easy alignment for them. Just inexpensive Bushnell. Have one on a 3 1/2" mag for years without problems.

Attachments

• 0D8493D9-61FD-477C-8D03-4716A3FCF31F.jpeg
    0D8493D9-61FD-477C-8D03-4716A3FCF31F.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 8E90043D-6815-4331-A365-5FD663A23CDF.jpeg
    8E90043D-6815-4331-A365-5FD663A23CDF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 128
Like to hear of some documented long turkey kills. Laser measured no pacing it off . My longest was 50 yds on an Osceola. I recently heard of a 70 yard kill with 12 gauge and TSS. Can't confirm, however. What do the experts think out there?

As a once doubter of the effectiveness of TSS, I'm now a convert.....if it were not for the price NO ONE WOULD EVER SHOOT COPPER AGAIN !!! WHETHER THEY WANT TO BELIEVE IT OR NOT...it truly has revolutionized turkey hammering at any range. I've harvested long beards from 15 yards to 54 with a 20 guage and have no doubt a 3in 12 with #7's or #9's would harvested one at 75 yards +.....problem is I've never cared a range finder and the 54 I went back to afterwards to confirm. I think the use of micro shot #9 is even more astonishing...great stuff, if we could only get the price down. .

70 yards is definitely doable with TSS. My longest was 42 yards and I think you're kind of taking the fun out of Turkey hunting shooting 50+ yards. Just my .02