Recording load data and other info

I quit recording my data in a book when a topical storm soaked my reloading note book. Wiped out about half my data over 20 years. I can still read the first few years, early 80's. For a while after that seems I used whatever history quick load had for a while but barely had time to load a few rounds with work. I had a dedicated laptop just for quick load, but that was quite a few yrs back.

Not as busy as I used to, I need to buy my quick load license current again.

Last few years I just put notes on ammo box. I even cut the group I shoot sight in and tape to the box with load data.

I need to get back to keeping better records, components cost a lot now and some are even hard to buy.

Old school 3 ring binders and notebook paper put inside clear plastic paper protectors. Categorized by cartridge and individual rifles I have loaded for. Every bit of needed info is available and I don't need a computer phone or power to use it. Not a huge techy person.

Details are great. If I kept targets I would need another container just to store the stacks of paper.

I went down that road for years...stacks and stacks of targets.PITA.

The last four years I have done all my load dev on a Shot Marker. I can log back into the Shot Marker itself or take screenshots and add to the notes section on my phone.

Our club just started using Shot Markers. Wow! Great tool. I have not used it enough to know all that it can do, but from what I have seen so far, it has a lot of capability that we're not using, and that we should be. I am favorably impressed.

I only keep the really good group targets. Is cuts down on clutter and makes me feel better. There something relaxing/soothing about thumbing through a hard copy book vs. spreadsheets and electronic media. I feel the same way about photos. I spent to much time working with computer screens during my working career.

This is a bit off the wall, but I am so happy with the quality of my Laboratory Notebooks, I thought I would share it here. I use the laptop to record information when I finalize the load, but I like to be able to write down ideas as well as observations at the range in a notebook. By far the Laboratory Notebook has been my go to. It is a hard bound book with graph type paper for easy use. Close to 200 pages and lasts for years. Saw them on Amazon for around $20.
View attachment 325089
Keeping a written record is non volatile memory. I record my data on a blank printout of an Excel Spreadsheet, get home, fill in the spreadsheet on the computer, print it out, three hole punch it, and put it in the notebook. If I type it then I don't have to try to interpret my chicken scratching at a later date.
DATA:
New sheet for each date. Notebooks are cheap.
-Date of shooting session (Top of the sheet)
-Temperature, conditions, wind (Top of the sheet)
-Rifle used, scope, any customization/changes
-Brass Manufacturer
-Weight data on the brass
-Case OAL
-Cartridge OAL
-Annealed YES/NO
-Neck Turned YES/NO, thickness
-SetBack
-# of reloads on this case
-Primer type and Manufacturer, Date of purchase
-Powder weight, Manufacturer, Date of purchase
-Bullet manufacturer, weight, type
-Range to target
-Result - extreme spread etc Even a photo of the target since cellphones have made this so much easier today. You can embed the photo on the spreadsheet if you want to. I always write a lot of data on my target anyway so I end up with the data in two places.
-NOTES - like has this load produced successful hunt results or match results.

I try to fill all the boxes.
I am careful about keeping my brass sorted and segrated by number of reloads on the case. Certain case/rifle/load combinations give me more reloads per case than do others. Without written records I would not know for sure. When I only had one rifle that I loaded for, I just scribbled a few things in the reloading manual. Now with many rifles, calibers and wide assortment of components the need for more data became evident.

I'll start by saying I have the OP's exact laboratory notebook but I use it exclusively to record firearm related data like modifications, spring/trigger changes, headspace, trigger pull, etc. This is for all guns not just rifles. I use a three ring binder for reload data w/o results, handy to use around my workshop also not just rifle but a lot of handgun and some shotgun data. I use preprinted pages set up either for metallic reloading or shotgun. When testing rifle performance I have an Excel that records stuff like date shot, date reloaded, firearm info, powder/charge/brass/primer/bullet and group with distance. I also used to put in velocities from my Chrony but now with Magnetospeed and labradar I just same files.

JB

I started with 3 ring binder, wrote couple Excel sheets, graduated to complex Access program ( shared with few here) and guess what? Back to 3 ring binder.

There is something nostalgia about sitting at bench perusing thru data sheets that I find soothing and comfortable. I can add photos, targets, notes, articles whatever to the binder. I just find something visceral but yet warming to finger thru the materal.

Yes I am old.
This is what I do also. Tried computer, but I like keeping targets in the 3 ring binder with load data. And I'm really young. ;)

The old MidwayUSA data sheets will give you a good idea of what to record. I've even recorded lot numbers of the powder and bullets as burn speed and bullets shape have changed a little over the years.

Attachments

• Shooting Data Sheet #1_0001.pdf
    484 KB · Views: 179
I use the free download sheets from redding and have also made a few forms of my own and keep all in a binder. Tech is nice and all but what are you all gonna do when you God forbid get hacked or the SHTF and no power and you have ZERO access to ANY of your data? And I'm not that old either lol.

What do you do when no cell service?
I keep my load data on an Excel spreadsheet stored in Onedrive. I create a new tab for the new load on my laptop in the loading room. I record the data into that tab on my phone at the range. A local copy is saved to the phone so you don't need data service. The file will be updated automatically when you do have data service. You can specify what files are saved locally to the phone.

I keep my load data on an Excel spreadsheet stored in Onedrive. I create a new tab for the new load on my laptop in the loading room. I record the data into that tab on my phone at the range. A local copy is saved to the phone so you don't need data service. The file will be updated automatically when you do have data service. You can specify what files are saved locally to the phone.
Wow...I'm lost when you posted one drive. Sounds like you have it dialed in, and I will take your word for it it works. I have the cheapest I phone I could buy at wal mart years ago. I think it is a SE....I hope it lasts me another 10 years. I have to have my wife dump my photos off it frequently to have enough memory for new photos. LOL....I better stick with my notebook.

Old school note book, I just checked my first entry, 1990 but I know I was loading mid 80's, just never recorded that information. Targets now go into a file cabinet under specific gun. I agree with the comments about going back in time and reading my past failures and accomplishments, makes for good evening and weekend fun when there is nothing else to do

Here are couple examples of datasheets I use in 3 ring binder or each rifle. I have them in Word if anyone would like to receive via email. I shoot in 20 round lots and track the number of reloads per lot number. Just general data that I use. I color code primers with Sharpies to ID specific loads. I added some sheets just for general idea. If I am testing out 5 round loads, I can use one sheet, or another to track full 20 round loads. Also a label sheet using Avery 8160 labels for ammo boxes. It works for me.

I do have an Access database if anyone wants to look at it. But cannot post it so has to go via email.

Attachments

• LRH.2021.08.27.Reloading Data Sheet.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 155
  • LRH-2021.09.28.Ladder.Test.pdf
    121.6 KB · Views: 100
  • LRH.2021.08.27.Avery-8160-Generic Ammo Box Label.pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 106
  • LRH.2021.08.27.Bullet.COAL.CBTO.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 128
  • LRH-2020.06.30.Best-Loads.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 92
  • 2021.07.25.Multi.Column.Reloading.Sheet.pdf