Load Data and Bullet Construction

tvarden

I am sure this has been brought up many times before, however I am still trying to wrap my head around it. So I am loading 338 Lapua Mag with Swift 210 gr Scirocco II, and H1000.

Swift reloading manual says start at 86.9 gr and Max is 93.5 gr.

Hodgdon when plugging in info shows load data for 210 gr bullet it then lists Nos Part starting at 90 gr and Max is 99.5 gr. - Does not list Scirocco, does bullet construction make up that much difference? 7 gr of powder difference seems a lot to me??

Lee manual shows same as Hodgdon, however just lists 210 gr jacketed bullet and does not specify brand or type. I am guessing they just copied Hodgdon's data.

Out of curiosity I checked Nosler, Barnes, and Hornady for their numbers in the bullet weight:

Nosler manual however list all 200 gr and 210 gr bullets under same load data and starts at 91.5 and Max at 95.5 gr. A good bit lower then Hodgdon says for the same load.

Barnes starts at 92.1 gr and Max is 102.3 gr. (Wow)

Hornady does not have a 210 gr bullet so no data. Just 200 gr and 225 gr.

I know some companies are just conservative on their numbers. My question is does the bullets construction have that much to do with the load data? Like the Swift being all copper and the Nosler being an Alloy? Or because the Barnes have groves cut that it does not have as much resistance and does not build up pressure as much??

I know the material makes a difference. Also the Sciroccos have a pretty long bearing surface.
Example .284 150grain Scirocco BS is .130" longer than 162 a-max. I can get about the same velocity on the 12 grain heavier bullet without pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.