Recording load data and other info

Mark37082

This is a bit off the wall, but I am so happy with the quality of my Laboratory Notebooks, I thought I would share it here. I use the laptop to record information when I finalize the load, but I like to be able to write down ideas as well as observations at the range in a notebook. By far the Laboratory Notebook has been my go to. It is a hard bound book with graph type paper for easy use. Close to 200 pages and lasts for years. Saw them on Amazon for around $20.
97529524-911F-4964-818C-55B87766E712.jpeg

I'm curious, what are you guys keeping track of in your notebook ?

I recently started a 3 ring notebook on a few of my rifles . with the 3 ring I can add pages in where I want them . what I've done is put all the reloading info on the target . take a pic of the target ,and print the pic . I have seating depth targets , powder work up targets , and final load targets . this gives me a good way of keeping track of what works . another rifle is a wildcat . I have case forming info , and the donut removal process , in addition to the targets I mentioned above . I also have a spec page . this gives COAL to touch the lands with the bullets I've worked with . fired case water capacity .

I'm curious, what are you guys keeping track of in your notebook ?

I recently started a 3 ring notebook on a few of my rifles . with the 3 ring I can add pages in where I want them . what I've done is put all the reloading info on the target . take a pic of the target ,and print the pic . I have seating depth targets , powder work up targets , and final load targets . this gives me a good way of keeping track of what works . another rifle is a wildcat . I have case forming info , and the donut removal process , in addition to the targets I mentioned above . I also have a spec page . this gives COAL to touch the lands with the bullets I've worked with . fired case water capacity .
CARTRIDGE, BULLET WEIGHT, CBTO, CBTO to L/G, BRASS, PRIMER, POWDER, and MOA.

I keep targets and record labels as well. I use the notebook to write down everything I can about the load, etc. I also use spreadsheets once I have time to do some computer work. The lab workbook allows me to do quick schematic drawing as well. I really like the graph paper for this.

I use my phone....Each rifle and barrel combo is numbered or named in the notes section of my phone. I keep all pertinent information such as powder type/brand,powder charges, powder lot#'s, primers and lot#'s, bullet used, bullet lot#, pointed/non pointed and how much, BTO, etc. etc.

Notes are a great tool. Too many times I loaded test rounds or hunting rounds thinking I will shoot them in a day or but turns out to be a month later and I can't remember what I loaded. Now I write down everything every time I load. # rounds, powder charge, cbto, OAL, and so on. I save all the good test targets and label too. It's been a great help for me to be able to reference later.

I use this spreadsheet that I put together long ago. Much of this info would be of no interest to most shooters but it's oriented around my shooting and firearms. It autocalcs group size velocities, etc. Also autocalcs for iron sight adjustments.

Attachments

• Sprd sht.jpg
    Sprd sht.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 187
I started with 3 ring binder, wrote couple Excel sheets, graduated to complex Access program ( shared with few here) and guess what? Back to 3 ring binder.

There is something nostalgia about sitting at bench perusing thru data sheets that I find soothing and comfortable. I can add photos, targets, notes, articles whatever to the binder. I just find something visceral but yet warming to finger thru the materal.

Yes I am old.

I use this spreadsheet that I put together long ago. Much of this info would be of no interest to most shooters but it's oriented around my shooting and firearms. It autocalcs group size velocities, etc. Also autocalcs for iron sight adjustments.
Hi, Longcruise, would you be open to sharing the Exel file? thx

I keep targets and record labels as well. I use the notebook to write down everything I can about the load, etc. I also use spreadsheets once I have time to do some computer work. The lab workbook allows me to do quick schematic drawing as well. I really like the graph paper for this.
Details are great. If I kept targets I would need another container just to store the stacks of paper.