Recommendation on muzzle brakes

magnum-tim

Hello,
Looking around for a muzzle brake for the wife's rifle.
So any suggestion on who's to go with. I thought I saw a link to a muzzle brake someone who was making them in a tread. thanks tim

I had a new muzzle brake installed a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with 308Nate's design, workmanship and turn-around. There are many excellent smiths on this site (do a search on muzzle brakes), but check out this link 308 Nate.

TAC

I use three.
Holland's Quick Discharge and Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge (both are solid-bottomed brakes), and then I also have the Vais brake (full profile).

I like two and both are extremely effective and will not cost you and arm and leg like some.

1. Holland quick discharge

2. Harrels only $30 but works as good as anything on the market. They advertise on BR central.

BH

Some of the decision is based upon the application. Not all brakes are created equal. For a large caliber hunting rifle shot prone then a solid bottom brake is helpful. For small calibers and bench shooting then the holes all around is fine.

Here is the brake I use on my 7mm AM. This gun burns over 100 grains of powder and is shot in the dirt, so the solid bottom brake is necessary for spotting your hits (I try not to need to spot my misses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). It is made by Shawn Carlock Of Defensive Edge in Idaho.

7brake.jpg

This is a Clay Spencer brake on a 240 Wby burning only 50+ grains of powder. Even when shot in the dirt it is OK because there isn't so much gas to escape and blow sand and dirt in your face.
spencerbrake.jpg

I'll put plug inj for Nate's V-port brake his link to his web page is in my signaturre baox below

I really like Vias Muzzle brakes. They seem to really tame the recoil compared to other brakes. IMO, I think Vias brakes are the best brake out there for shooting off the bench. However, make sure to put a towel under your brake when shooting prone. If you don't, you will get a face full of dirt.

I like Holland brakes too. However, IMO they do not tame the recoil as good as the Vias brakes. They are great for shooting prone, because you will not have to worrie about the blowing dirt. However, if you use a shooting matt or put a towel undeneath your gun, then go with the Vias.

I've only used the Vias and Holland brakes. Between those two brakes, IMO, I feel the Vias brake is a much better brake.

I have heard Kirby's APS brakes are really good, and I 've also heard Shawn Carlocks Defensive Edge brake works really well too. However, I have never used them, so I can't give an opinion on them.

Price comparison between the Holland and Vias brakes are as followed;

1. Holland Brakes run from $95 to $105.

2. Vias Brakes run from $130 to $140.

I hope this helps!

Wildcat

I use & like the VIAS. One advantage is their micro brake. Depending on the caliber, it can be turned down so it is the same diameter as the barrel is most cases. Then you don't have that knob look on the end of your barrel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

That's another reason why I like the Vias too! They can be turned down to match the barrel contour. I don't like the knob look either.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.