Recommendation for DWR down treatment

Litehiker

I'm going to recommend for all of you that are looking to buy down garments that you try your best to get those with a good down DWR such as Down Tech or Dri-Down.

This down DWR (Durable Water Repellant) means the down will absorb far less moisture (about 35% less) and dry 60% faster than untreated top quality down. The YouTube demos are very enlightening.

My Eddie Bauer down vest has this as does my new LL Bean -20 F. down sleeping bag.
LL Bean has a lot of garments with this treatment and several other quality makers/vendors of down garments have it too. Bean's prices are the most reasonable in this pricey market. Avoid offshore brands unless they are Japanese or European.

I may soon buy a hooded down jacket (heavier than my current, untreated EB "Down Sweater"). You can be sure it will have a down DWR treatment and hopefully a highly water repellant shell.

If you have any questions or comments I'm happy to reply.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.