Need recommendation for lightweight spotter

Moman

I'm looking for an ultra light spotting scope for long treks. I currently use a Leupold 12x40 HD but need something lighter for packing. Considering the Leupold Gold Ring compacts. Anyone have a recommendation for something or use either the Leupy Golden Ring 12x20 or 15x30?

My friend has the Leupold compact 15X30 and he really likes it when we go on 10 hr hikes. My Swaro 65 is alot heavier. I used to have the Leupold 12X40 and wished I had the lighter Leupold to pack. But I do like the glass of the Swaro.

I have the larger and the small 10-20x40 Leupold. But would favor more power. Friend has the 15-30x40? Nikon, it is really nice and light, compact

SP6x6, thanks for the info. I bought the Leupy 15x30 and used it quite a bit in MT this year but overall wasn't real happy with it. It's not horrible, but not great either. Have you compared this model with your friends Nikon side by side? I would like to find out more about the compact Nikon.

I have the 10-20x and it is not as nice as the Nikon 13-30x50. 16 oz.,8.2 inches long.The Nikon is not as good as my large Leupy, but is half the size, the local Army navy stores carry the Nikon so you can look at one, They are spendy at close to $700, but you mind find a deal, I watch SWFA sample list for deals MY large is the 12-40x60,non HD

Last edited:
Check out the vortex nomad... 20-60x60... larger objective lense but still light weight and can be found for a good price. I have found nothing but great reviews for this spotter.

The Nikon ED50 is usually considered the 'standard' for compact spotters. I bought one with a fixed 16x and added a 13-30x zoom. Great image for such a small scope, and weighs about 1 pound.

I have used the Leupold 10-20x40 and would not recommend it. Very dim, but this model still uses some old lenses. I haven't tried their 15-30x50, but again these are still being made with older tech glass and the scope never seems to do that well in the head-to-head reviews against the ED50. The Leupold's do have good eye relief, and cost less though.

Eastman's Hunting has reviewed the ED50. I think its still their #1 choice for a compact. Plus there's tons of user reviews at the various hunting and birding forums (birdforum, monstermuleys, etc.). Ilya Koshkin is currently reviewing the ED50 and Leupold 15-30x50. Hopefully he'll post his results soon (Optics Thoughts is his website).

Jason

Thanks for the posts guys. I'm still using my 12x40 HD as I was not overly happy with the clarity of the lenses of the 15x30 compact. I have one more hunt in CO this year and leave on Sunday so I'm pretty much committed to using what I have for now. I'll look into the ED when I get back. Thanks again.

I cut corners on a lot of things to save weight, but my spotting scope is not one of them. The swaro 65 is always in my pack, always.

Nikon ED50. When i was looking for a spotting scope i spent a lot of time on the Bird Forums. Those guys will nit pick ever aspect of glass!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.