Recoil reducer help

Wysongdog

Need to pick your guys' brains. We are headed to Africa next spring. Just picked up a 375 h&h in a sako Kodiak. I'm not a recoil fan and my son isn't either. Been looking at different options for this on several different sites and the Edwards mercury reducer has came up couple times. Does anyone have any experience with these? Also been mentioned magnaporting the barrel. Neither of these is quite as effective as a true muzzle brake but a lot easier on the ears lol.
Thanks Bryan

I had a custom 505 Gibbs on a CZ 550 Safari action with a 1lb mercury reducer in the buttstock. This rifle only weighed 9 1/2lbs, the recoil with handloads and 600gr bullets was pretty extreme.
I thought the reducer was a waste of time until I pulled the hammer on a cartridge with it removed! It slowed the recoil down considerably. I wouldn't say it is in the same league as a brake, but it takes the harsh snap out of the recoil.
If this rifle was a little heavier I probably would have kept it.
A brake may be a better solution, although I have a 375 Weatherby and do not find the recoil excessive or harsh.
I am not a fan of brakes personally.

Cheers.
:)

Any thing that will reduce recoil is recommended and often helps the shooters accuracy.

While evaluating different kinds of recoil reducing methods we found that the performance range was extreme and many devices did not have a very high percentage of reduction even though all helped to reduce the recoil and/or the felt/perceived recoil buy some amount.

Our test proved to be very accurate so we placed each device in the order of true performance. We had no bias towards any device and only wanted to find out how effective each were and help to improve/understand the different designs.

Here are the results as tested. look under the FAQ section and the question "what kind of recoil devices are there".
http://www.jecustom.com/index.php?pg=Home&cmd=Cell&cell=FAQ

You can decide which one best suits your needs.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.