Recoil pads

xbowhntr

I want to replace the recoil pad on my Savage .300 Win Mag . Who makes the best recoil reducing pad out there. I have a .30-06 that has a recoil pad that is an
1 1/4" thick , this is one of the best I have felt but I cant find a name on it . I have used a couple of grind to fit so I have no problems installing my own pads . Show me some of yours and give me some info on thickness and recoil absorbing qualities ! Thanks Kirkgun)

I have found the very best instrument for reducing recoil is a muzzle brake! Short of a brake I have also found the thicker the recoil pad, the more the rifle gets a run at me and I'm far more likely to get scoped. When shooting heavy kickers you will see me open my jacket and put the butt stock on my t-shirt. This way I move with it rather than have anything compressable to allow the rifle to build momentum. I know it all sounds wierd but it works for me.

I want to replace the recoil pad on my Savage .300 Win Mag . Who makes the best recoil reducing pad out there. I have a .30-06 that has a recoil pad that is an
1 1/4" thick , this is one of the best I have felt but I cant find a name on it . I have used a couple of grind to fit so I have no problems installing my own pads . Show me some of yours and give me some info on thickness and recoil absorbing qualities ! Thanks Kirkgun)
Pachmeyer has everything in the way of pads you can think of

+1 for kickeez but watch out with solvents and other things that could potentially damage it. The paint from a shop concrete floor marred mine.

+1 for Limbsaver on my 338WM and my SBE. The SBE will pick up anything that you sit it on with butt down......dirt, leaves, sticks, grass whatever. Think I got some cleaning chems on it back in 1998. The 338 Limbsaver is so good I don't use a brake on T-3 6.6lb.

Don't ever put it up for long times with butt on floor or it may crush it??????

I've gone through a bunch of recoil pads.

All things came together when I installed a Limbsaver grind to fit, fitting the the stock junction while not touching the butt end.

Limbsaver's construction and increase surface are makes the 338 RUM Rem sporter a dream to shoot.

The grind to fit leaving as much surface area on the rear is my whole hearted recommendation.

Be cautious of the bottom. If not done properly it will snag loose clothing or a shirt pocket. (My experience)

I have used handguns for years , Contenders and Encores for the reason of a high school football injury . I dislocated my shoulder and it was never placed back in the socket correctly so scar tissue has formed there and makes shooting the heavy kickers a problem . I have a brand new Pachy decelerator on it right now and its not enough. I thought about doing a muzzle break on it but money is an issue, because of our hours being cut back at work right now the recoil pad is the cheaper option . I did buy a 7mm mag barrel with a muzzle break attached to it maybe I should change it out as the better option for recoil reduction .lightbulb

While the Pachmyer pad doesn't suck up as much recoil as the others, its not going to be a huge difference from one to the next. A muzzle brake is going to do the most for you. My RUM is wearing a decellereator AND a Centershot Muscle Brake and it's like shooting a 308. As others have mentioned, the limbsaver pads seem softest but I stay away from them due to the deformation issues. You will notice a difference going to one of these other pads but I would recommend putting a brake on it if you really want to soften it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.