Recoil Lug and Carbon Fiber Stock Preparation

Capt’nChris

I'm getting ready to do a recoil lug on a carbon fiber stock. Do you prep the stock/recoil lug area any different than any other stock? Slightly pit the area for the bedding material to adhere to and clean clean clean before mixing.

Mainly what I'm asking is; 1. Dose the carbon fiber make for good adheresnce to the bedding without pitting the stock? 2. Will pitting the carbon fiber destroy the stock because the carbon fibers are dependent on each other for strength and shape?

Thank you
Capt'nChris
Gunsmithing Voodoo

Won't hurt anything to rough up the area to be bedded. I would.if the stock is filled like a McMillan the epoxy will adhere very well to the fill.

I'm getting ready to do a recoil lug on a carbon fiber stock. Do you prep the stock/recoil lug area any different than any other stock? Slightly pit the area for the bedding material to adhere to and clean clean clean before mixing.

Mainly what I'm asking is; 1. Dose the carbon fiber make for good adheresnce to the bedding without pitting the stock? 2. Will pitting the carbon fiber destroy the stock because the carbon fibers are dependent on each other for strength and shape?

Thank you
Capt'nChris
Gunsmithing Voodoo
I have done about 30 of these. You can bed the action right into the already cut carbon stock well for the lug. Bedding material will adhere directly to the carbon and will be secure. You certainly can rough it slightly but ensure that you don't take too much material, the carbon is not as thick as you might think.

I have done about 30 of these. You can bed the action right into the already cut carbon stock well for the lug. Bedding material will adhere directly to the carbon and will be secure. You certainly can rough it slightly but ensure that you don't take too much material, the carbon is not as thick as you might think.
So it would be better to lightly scuff with a low grit sandpaper n NOT use a Dremel to pit the carbon fiber stock. I'll go gently. Thank you

Used the Dremel on a couple dozen to rough the terrain up. Epoxy adherence is rock solid. Make sure the vertical axis of the action is aligned with the axis of the stock. Don't want a canted action. You can do it, good luck.

I had to open up the carbon fiber stock for a magpul bipod mount

Attachments

• 3 counter sunk holes for magpul and sling in Kiwi s 20190909_212140.jpg
    3 counter sunk holes for magpul and sling in Kiwi s 20190909_212140.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Rem7000 6.5-06 Kiwi Bart 2B 20190909_215753.jpg
    Rem7000 6.5-06 Kiwi Bart 2B 20190909_215753.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 55