Carbon fiber stock build

Did you lay a base of epoxy on the mold? One thing that helped us a ton is lay down a coat of epoxy to the mold 20 min before you ever put any CF down. It will help you avoid a lot of finish issues.

Did you lay a base of epoxy on the mold? One thing that helped us a ton is lay down a coat of epoxy to the mold 20 min before you ever put any CF down. It will help you avoid a lot of finish issues.
I did, but didnt wait. Thanks

Yeah put it down, wait and we ran a heat gun across it to pull all the bubbles. Hopefully that will help

I may have missed it but what type of foam do you use for the core?
Great stuff so far just to get it to expand. I have other ideas, but materials arent here yet. Air bladder is next. Got some industrial foam to throw in later for noise reduction, but don't think it will be the best way to pressurize the cf inside the form
edit: that greatstuff is a nightmare. Its like a melted marshmallow when it gets any heat or solvents. Again, just an experiment to never be used again :)

If you could seal the mold all up except for the but end of the stock and then have a small relief hole for pressure, I would try urethane foam. I've played with it at my buddies taxidermy studio and it will blow a taxidermy form apart if you don't have a place for it to go.

If you could seal the mold all up except for the but end of the stock and then have a small relief hole for pressure, I would try urethane foam. I've played with it at my buddies taxidermy studio and it will blow a taxidermy form apart if you don't have a place for it to go.
I got some of this stuff to try.

one of my best friends was a taxidermist and did mounts and said the same as you

Unfortunately I have to setup a new media blast cabinet so I can finish a christmas 7mm build for a close friend. It has taken my time from the stock project.

This is awesome! Looks like a success for the first go at it. List it in the classifieds and just add some bs jargon in the ad. "One of a kind, fully custom stock w/ aerospace grade materials". It'll sell in a matter of minutes :)

This is awesome! Looks like a success for the first go at it. List it in the classifieds and just add some bs jargon in the ad. "One of a kind, fully custom stock w/ aerospace grade materials". It'll sell in a matter of minutes :)
The only success is the learning is exponential. I've always learned better from diving in and failing miserably :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.