Rechambering a model of 1917 winchester

athompson4

hey all,
The barrel on my winchester model of 1917 30-06 has just about had it. Assuming the action is still in good shape, I'd like to buy a new barrel and rechamber it in a new caliber that would work as a decent pack gun. So far I have considered 6.5x55 swede, 6.5-06, and even the 9.3x62. I'd like to get your thoughts on these calibers as well as hear about other calibers that you all think may be appropriate. Thanks!

It depends on what you are going to be using the rifle for. If for deer size game I would go with the 6.5X55 myself. I would get an 8" twist barrel so you can shoot the 140's gr. bullets as well as down to 120 gr with no problems. With the 6.5X55 you can load those loooooooooog bullets long enough to keep them out of your powder chamber of the case and still have them work through the magazine. With higher pressure loads, over the 46,000 CUP loads given for the old Mauser 96 actions, which your action will handle with no problem. You can about duplicate what a 6.5-06 will do with comparable barrel lengths. I would go with nothing less than a 24" myself. If push comes to shove on game like elk if you put one of the bullets like the 140 gr Nosler Partition or Accubbond at around 2800 fps or so in the right place you can get your skinning knife out. Those loooooog 6.5 bullets have such a great SD they just keep on going and expanding through flesh.

Then again you could go with the 6.5X57 which you could use 30-06 size cases to make your cases or just run 7X57 Mauser cases in the die and have your 6.5X57. You could also AI either of these cases and come up with a little more horse power. :D

I've done several 1917's and currently bolting together 3 of them in various calibers. I built a 6.5-280 Imp last year to replace an old 6.5-06 I had. I figure with that cartridge I can shoot anything from Elk down to coyote size critters. I went with the 8" twist and it handles the 142 SMK's no problem with great accuracy.

Any .473 case will feed in there without much problem. You can bump it up to Magnums and larger but then you are getting into feeding problems that need to be taken care of by someone that knows a thing or two about it.

My current 1917 projects are a 280 Imp, a 300 WBY Mag, and a .338 RUM which has yet to be started.

They are great actions to build on, but take a bunch of work to be done right. Mine usually weigh in the 10-12 lbs area, but I'm milling and shaving the .300 WBY to try and keep it under 8 lbs. We'll see what happens!

I have a model 1917 in .300 wby as well :D just had it rebarrelled with a mcgowan stainless steel, 10" twist as well. its a heavy bugger, but i'd rather keep it a little heavy if it keeps me from putting a muzzle break on it.
Would you say that I would be better off making it a 6.5 swede rather than 6.5-06?

I dont know, It would be a coin flip for me. I would tend to lean towards the 6.5x55 just because it is a 25 degree shoulder and with handloading you can push the heavier bullets up to 6.5-06 speeds. I like my 6.5-280 RCBS, but to seat the VLD bullets out as far as I want them, I am maxed out with my Mag length of 3.4" I believe. I could lengthen the mag well, but for hunting purposes, it works just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.