Recent grizzly attacks on Montana elk hunters

I hunted the Thorofare drainage last week. I didn't see a single bear the first day, also no elk were killed the first day. The second day elk started going down, saw 3 grizzlies the second day. 7 more on the third day after I killed my elk. I had a 454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk with 325 grain bullets as backup and felt comfortable. The bears didn't seem too worried about people as long as you weren't near elk meat/carcass. We rode horses in to and out of the hunting area in the dark. When the guide was quartering my elk I was on bear watch. I didn't look to see what he was doing, if we talked, I was still constantly scanning for movement. He was facing the horses while cutting so I concentrated my focus on the other 270* perimeter. The elk died in a small piece of timber, we had a discussion of how things needed to go, and we stuck to the plan. Another thought would be to keep your horses close. I'm no expert but at one point we had mules with elk meat on them tied behind us. A sow and cub came in, but she didn't seem to know what to do about the meat being on the mule. Plus they are also an advanced form of detection. They'll let you know when somethings around.

I was thinking the same thing of scanning for movement while others break down , I'm taking my short 12ga simi loaded 9rds of 3" slugs maybe alternating 3" 00 in between to use if we need to go back to a kill site to pack out

I read through all twelve pages. Very interesting opinions and some informative links provided.
I wonder if most of these attacks on hunters are do to the bears being startled since hunters try to be quiet. Rather than the bear "stalking or waiting in ambush" Hikers are usually a little noisier, when I hiked in Glacir NP we were bells on our boots. And if your in a camp the bear obviously isn't spooked.
This doesn't change the fact that you have precious little time to realize what happening, make the decision to fire then drawing and firing.

Darrell

Sounds like you boys in Wyoming are training the bears to come look for a gut pile at the sound of a rifle. Maybe the bears do need a little hunting pressure before they become too indifferent to people.

I wonder how many have actually shot a 454 casull? I shot one once (freedom arms 73) and i will never do it again. I would liken it to slamming your wrist in a car door repeatedly.

Not trying to be negative but i would venture a guess that about 5% of people who trained a lot could effectively use a 454 (or more powerful handgun) to stop a griz. Possible exception would be the extremely heavy s&w x frame guns.

I have NO romantic notions about seeing Grizzlies roaming around and hearing wolves howling. So my question for the few seemingly bleeding hearts on this thread is, what good has come from wolves and Grizzlies being reintroduced into any area? And I want "proof" not heresy and feelings!

I have NO romantic notions about seeing Grizzlies roaming around and hearing wolves howling. So my question for the few seemingly bleeding hearts on this thread is, what good has come from wolves and Grizzlies being reintroduced into any area? And I want "proof" not heresy and feelings!
I'm not a "bleeding heart". I live with Grizzlies and Wolves. I very much enjoy their presence. I like seeing them. It's exciting to know they're around when I'm in the mountains. I even had a wolf in my yard a few winters ago.
That being said I also support hunting them to manage their numbers.
There's my feelings, like it or not.
You're not in grizzly and wolf country.

I'm not a "bleeding heart". I live with Grizzlies and Wolves. I very much enjoy their presence. I like seeing them. It's exciting to know they're around when I'm in the mountains. I even had a wolf in my yard a few winters ago.
That being said I also support hunting them to manage their numbers.
There's my feelings, like it or not.
You're not in grizzly and wolf country.
And don't want to be! That's my point. But that statement wasn't aimed at you.

We don't have near as many moose to feed here in Wyoming....in fact sheep, moose, and elk numbers are down in areas where the wolves thrive! But, none have been hit as hard as the moose. I guess that "some" fools would see that as "good"!

I don't have any problem with the grizzlies as their numbers are easily manageable....if the "leftest" judges would allow controlled hunting. Bears kill, or feed on carrion until it is gone. Wolves often kill for sport, and move on. Wolves are much, much harder to control through acceptable hunting means. memtb

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.