Recent grizzly attacks on Montana elk hunters

If it is a question on what I would carry it would be a 9 shoot pump mossberg 500 defender with 2 3/4" 1oz slugs. Seams like a bit heavy to carry around but with the accuracy of the system and ease or operation under pressure seems like a good choice to have on hand. However a good semiautomatic handgun strapped to your side for imimmedia use at all times is clearly important also.
You are far better off loading it with SSG or Double 00 Buck...the results are devastating and aim is far less critical...we always carried it that way when guiding for bear.

His Glock must be different than mine then. I can hand mine to someone who has no idea what to do with a gun and say, "point the end with the hole in it at your target, pull the trigger and keep pulling it until it doesn't go bang anymore" and they will have a fighting level of success LOL.

How does someone not even understand the basic principle of how a pistol works?
The hunter panicked.
They're from California?
Florida actually

I hunt alone in southwest MT. Overnight spike camps several miles from any manmade trail. My minimum is a 44 magnum with 305 grain hard lead cast. Either HSM or Buffalo Bore. I feel under-gunned with that. Couple guys were mauled by an old griz, teeth wore down to dull nubs, carrying the same load/gun combo. Think they put seven rounds into the bear before the attack stopped. They were both bitten at some point during the event. There is no such thing as "too much gun" in a defense scenario. Semi auto pistols are for two legged defense, big heavy revolvers with big heavy bullets are for four legged defense. JMO.

This one has a high capacity also...
Screenshot_20191014-181519_Chrome.jpg

Here is actual accounts of using a handgun in bear attacks.
It opened my eyes:
https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/d...tols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/
A 10 mm with hard cast bullets killed a black bear several years ago as the shooter only wanted the hide and donated the meat to a local cause.He wanted to see if a 10 mm could actually kill a huge blackie.
With semi-auto's there is a problem called limp wrist malfunction.Women usually have them the most as their wrists are not as strong as men but men do have them too.
In a blink of an eye incidence anyone could have a limp wrist malfunction with a semi-auto but a revolver will fire EVERY TIME!
Practice more than you need to as the bear that attacks has had a lot more practice than any of us here.Limp wrist malfunction will not happen as much if you practice enough.If you don't reload buy hard cast ammo as a hollow point will mushroom and stop short of vitals and hard cast won't.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

Revolvers do not make a shooter immune from limp wrist shooting. Most untrained shooters who "limp wrist" shooting semi-auto also limp wrist shooting a revolver, especially magnum large caliber pistols. They generally loose control of the handgun and if they're able to hold onto the pistol are not able to make a fast accurate second or third shots as needed. Regardless of revolver or semi-automatic handgun, I think we all agree that the point is to know your and you handguns capabilities and to practice with it in a realistic environment so that when confronted with an emergency, your training helps you react appropriately to stop whatever the threat is.

I hunted the Thorofare drainage last week. I didn't see a single bear the first day, also no elk were killed the first day. The second day elk started going down, saw 3 grizzlies the second day. 7 more on the third day after I killed my elk. I had a 454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk with 325 grain bullets as backup and felt comfortable. The bears didn't seem too worried about people as long as you weren't near elk meat/carcass. We rode horses in to and out of the hunting area in the dark. When the guide was quartering my elk I was on bear watch. I didn't look to see what he was doing, if we talked, I was still constantly scanning for movement. He was facing the horses while cutting so I concentrated my focus on the other 270* perimeter. The elk died in a small piece of timber, we had a discussion of how things needed to go, and we stuck to the plan. Another thought would be to keep your horses close. I'm no expert but at one point we had mules with elk meat on them tied behind us. A sow and cub came in, but she didn't seem to know what to do about the meat being on the mule. Plus they are also an advanced form of detection. They'll let you know when somethings around.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.