Rebarreling a 22-250 to a 6.5?

Build the 6.5 Creed and dont look back. Dont have to fire form brass and there is quality brass available(nosler/norma). You dont need "almighty" lapua brass; I shoot hornady brass with no problems printing tight groups. Your going to want a 1:8 twist and id suggest at least a 24 in bbl. A 26 in. would really bring out the Creed's potential.

All I have seen is Hornady brass and ammo... I have heard rumor that other companies are going to be making brass and ammo, but have not seen it yet.

Either way, none of those companies compare to Lapua brass.... Therefore the .260 AI still wins, IMO. :D

Forget that"AI" stuff and just go for a straight 260.......If you need to go to a AI..just go up one caiber

Forget that"AI" stuff and just go for a straight 260.......If you need to go to a AI..just go up one caiber
You don't always need to "just go up one caliber"... The reason the AI is, and will always be relevant, is because it is all about getting the absolute most effeciency out of a standardized caliber's case. By adding that extra 5-10gr of powder capacity, you have just unlocked potential not available in the standard SAAMI configuration. That slight edge can sometimes be the difference in a 1000 yard shot, and an 1100 yard shot. So, you just have to sit back and figure out your priorities. I like tinkering with things and getting the most out of it that I possibly can...So, I love the Ackley Improved calibers. Plus, I honestly feel the AI case designs with the minimal body taper and the 40* shoulder angle is a much more efficient cartridge design.

Once you master case-forming for AI's and you start getting into wildcatting and designing your own, it can be highly addictive. Especially if you're really good at it. Not braggin, of course... :D

You don't always need to "just go up one caliber"... The reason the AI is, and will always be relevant, is because it is all about getting the absolute most effeciency out of a standardized caliber's case. By adding that extra 5-10gr of powder capacity, you have just unlocked potential not available in the standard SAAMI configuration. That slight edge can sometimes be the difference in a 1000 yard shot, and an 1100 yard shot. So, you just have to sit back and figure out your priorities. I like tinkering with things and getting the most out of it that I possibly can...So, I love the Ackley Improved calibers. Plus, I honestly feel the AI case designs with the minimal body taper and the 40* shoulder angle is a much more efficient cartridge design.

Once you master case-forming for AI's and you start getting into wildcatting and designing your own, it can be highly addictive. Especially if you're really good at it. Not braggin, of course... :D

I do have to agree... I got bored with handloading standard cartridges, so I decided I'd go with a 6.5 Sherman and have some fun. Sure, there is a 264 WM and 26 Nosler already available, and custom dies are a bit of an investment, but the 6.5 Sherman has a great case design and awesome barrel life.

It'll be something fun to tinker with that's for sure.

Had one ackley chambering that quickly became rechambered to a 22-250 with a bolt swap...not impresssed at all. I'm waiting on a barrel for a 6.5 rsaum build. I doubt the 260 ai could keep up. Not trying to pick on you Mud...you did get me to try zeiss scopes and I am very happy with them! :)

Had one ackley chambering that quickly became rechambered to a 22-250 with a bolt swap...not impresssed at all. I'm waiting on a barrel for a 6.5 rsaum build. I doubt the 260 ai could keep up. Not trying to pick on you Mud...you did get me to try zeiss scopes and I am very happy with them! :)
Well, I'd hope not. I will never intentionally try to steer anyone into a wrong direction. That would be unethical. I may be bias and opinionated, but in our own ways, aren't we all? And at the end of the day, what else do we have, other than our integrity?

Some cartridges are suitable for improving. A 260 Remington is a poor choice to improve. The best you can hope for is about a 2.5 gr increase in capacity.

Some cartridges are suitable for improving. A 260 Remington is a poor choice to improve. The best you can hope for is about a 2.5 gr increase in capacity.
The 40* shoulder and less taper will keep it from growing as bad and needing trimmed as often.

The 40* shoulder and less taper will keep it from growing as bad and needing trimmed as often.

There isn't enough difference in the taper to matter. It won't feed as well with a 40° shoulder. I have never found trim frequency it be an issue on shoulders less than 40°.

Yes, you can have a .22-250 re-barreled into any short-action caliber you want, provided it has a standard (.470") bolt face.

If you handload, I would look into the .260 Rem AI, over the 6.5 Creed. The Creed is too proprietized. There's only 1 company making brass, ammo, etc... I wouldn't want a caliber that was THAT dependant on 1 solo company (Hornady). Go with the .260 AI, because Lapua makes .260 Rem brass, and you can find dies and .260 Rem ammo by quite a few manufacturers. It's been around, and it's tried and true.

Just simply my opinion.

Hornady, Norma, Winchester are all producing 6.5 Creedmoor brass and ammo. Come on Mud Runner! Oh ya, I forgot Nosler.
The Creedmoor is the way to go in a medium velocity 6.5 . Its a great case design with lots of brass and loaded ammo available. I think most all the die mfg now make 6.5 Creedmoordies. Its winning matches and killing game with aplomb.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.