Reasons for a suppressor purchase?

They do not ask why you want one.

You simply fill out the forms, write a check for $200 and wait 5-6 months like the rest of us. It's not that complicated especially if you have a Trust in place.

Robert

There is a map on this page below that indicates where suppressors are legal to own and to hunt with. Check it out.

https://silencerco.com/education/
The form I filled out asked reason for ownership, I stated "All legal purposes" as instructed by local sheriff and class 3 dealer. Maybe its different in your area. Mine was individual form not a trust. And it has been 11 months so far...... Can you think of anything else in the world where you pay this kind of money and you must wait a year to take possession??

The form I filled out asked reason for ownership, I stated "All legal purposes" as instructed by local sheriff and class 3 dealer. Maybe its different in your area. Mine was individual form not a trust. And it has been 11 months so far...... Can you think of anything else in the world where you pay this kind of money and you must wait a year to take possession??

NOPE. In several countries in Europe, you can buy them at the hardware store.
Crazy. as tough as the gun laws, to not being able to own them at all. You can get suppressors over the counter. No wait. no tax stamp, no extra fee's.

As far as reason for owner ship. I have always told customers that Any lawful or legal purpose.
Never had a form 4 kicked back for that. ON a trust or as a individual.

Personally, I see ABSOLUTELY no reason not to own one. Undersheriff let me shoot his... I was hooked! It really frustrates me that the process is as convuluted as it is. Specifically what personal info is actually gathered/researched that is more in depth than your standard background check such as a new gun purchase??? Other than fingerprints and photo. It ****es me that the process is basically dependent on the procrastinating "ability" of your auditor. To me, if you are a licensed concealed carry you should be able to buy one over the counter.

I AGREE. Yet another right/Freedom co-oped to serve the GOVT.

Personally, I see ABSOLUTELY no reason not to own one. Undersheriff let me shoot his... I was hooked! It really frustrates me that the process is as convuluted as it is. Specifically what personal info is actually gathered/researched that is more in depth than your standard background check such as a new gun purchase??? Other than fingerprints and photo. It ****es me that the process is basically dependent on the procrastinating "ability" of your auditor. To me, if you are a licensed concealed carry you should be able to buy one over the counter.

rights are like muscle if you don't use them you loose them.300 bkl.out pistol 8.5' barrel saker suppressed 700 remingtom 270WSM saker suppressed. a lot of times hogs dot run when I drop one

NOPE. In several countries in Europe, you can buy them at the hardware store. ...You can get suppressors over the counter. No wait. no tax stamp, no extra fee's.

Same here in New Zealand. Zero formalities or fees. When you think about it, why should there be? They're a noise reducer, not a complete noise eliminator.

If they'd been a common item here in the past, I wouldn't have fitted so many hearing aids to old shooters. My gunsmith/buddy is a classic example.

I'm wondering what reason would one give to the question of owning a suppressor the following ......
.9mm

I live in Washington state, If I was to one for the .223 it would be used in Idaho, would that be legal?

But the bigger question would be why I would need one for the .9mm.

Thanks for any help,

Best Regards,

Ron
You can't take your suppresor to a different state unless in advance you write the LE in that area prior to your trip that you will be bringing it and get approved. Also, you need to have your stamp on you or atleast a copy of the stamp with a letter of approval. It's a hassle but that's the system.

You can't take your suppresor to a different state unless in advance you write the LE in that area prior to your trip that you will be bringing it and get approved. Also, you need to have your stamp on you or atleast a copy of the stamp with a letter of approval. It's a hassle but that's the system.
This is 100% not true. You don't have to notify anyone of anything if you are going to a state that is legal to have/use/possess that suppressor. It is most certainly not the "system".

Ability to hear higher frequency sounds can be protected with suppressors. Idaho is a sensible state but checking regs would be advisable. Montana now allows suppressors to be used while hunting - change in political climate, no more vetos. Requirement to pay $ to possess a suppressor is ridiculous. Before they could be used at the range or for shooting rodents but now its OK for use while shooting deers or big game animals. A titanium suppressor screwed onto a 22 inch barrel chambered for some adequate round would be real nice.

I don't think that's correct. I took mine to Wyoming last year for a hunt. ATF doesn't need to approve that. I do keep a copy of the tax stamp and my trust with me though.

It's like buying appliances in this crazy world economy....

You can't take your suppresor to a different state unless in advance you write the LE in that area prior to your trip that you will be bringing it and get approved.
Incorrect on a couple of levels. Interstate movement requiring a Form 20 to be filed includes SBRs and fully automatic machineguns, but not silencers. You also file a Form 20 with ATF, not with law enforcement where you're going. In Part I, Item 3 of the form the filer can designate a period of up to a year that the firearm will be transported - the most common use of this I've seen is transporting SBRs for carbine classes across state lines so once the class is booked the form is filed and comes back in 30-45 days.

18 USC 922(a)(4):
(a)It shall be unlawful—
(4) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, to transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986), short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, except as specifically authorized by the Attorney General consistent with public safety and necessity;