really need help with rifle build off my remington 700

I've been a 30-06 fan for a long time. Before you give up on the old -06, try a different load. The 125 grain SST with around 50 grains of 4895 is a really soft shooting load that still acheives 3000 fps for good trajectory and very good terminal results on deer, hogs, or pretty much anything up to about 400 pounds. I think you would be pleasantly surprised by what the rifle may do for you without the extra recoil.

(FYI this is basically the same load as the Hornady custom lite factory ammo if you wanted to find a box to try it.)

Last edited:
Orange
I would do a 6.5-284 or a straight. 284. Throat them for long heavy bullets and make use of the long magazine. Twist accordingly. Either would make a great hunting rifle.
Dust is right on. Another possibility is 6.5-06 or the improved version. Get a carbon barrel with a muzzle brake. A good gunsmith can put this all together for a sub MOA rifle.

I agree totally why get rid of a good rifle to buy some thing that could be a good or bad one.Douglas rifles will make and install what ever kind of barrel you want for 500 bucks i have used these barrels and i never got one that shot worse than 3/4 moa at 200 yards.which means you do your own inletting.
Im sorry that is douglas barrels.They do not get much attention any more but they have been around for many years. They do bang up work.

Im sorry that is douglas barrels.They do not get much attention any more but they have been around for many years. They do bang up work.
Douglas Barrels is in my home state of West Virginia. They make a good barrel and I know a few old timers that have had good luck with them over the years. I use Bartlein cut rifled barrels because they never have failed me or anyone I know who has one. I'd like to test a Douglas one day though on a hunting rifle.

I think a point be llst here is recoil...
A 3006 with heavy bullet recoil quite well...
A 2506 with heavy bullet will recoil quite well also...
The only real way to get rid of the recoil is.....
a brake..
a buttpad..
or extremely liteweight bullets...
You need to figure out what you want to shoot....
No way around it....
Agree...., I would go with the same rifle/cartridge, but with a brake installed (APA), and 150-168 pills. A good bedding job (glass and pillars), and a good trigger (Jewell or Bix&Andy). OCW procedure to find out the best bullet/powder/primer combo, and fine tune it with CBTO. You are set.
Regards
V

Another voice in agreement with the effectiveness of the Douglas barrels. I run two of them on Mauser actioned Gibbs calibers. If you are considering another gun, I would strongly recommend calibers such as 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 260 Remington, or 7:08 since you are dealing with recoil as a primary concern and large game ( elk ) is not on your anticipated target list. Just the experienced opinion of another recoil sensitive shooter ( with a bad shoulder ).

I was in the same boat with my hand me down 1970's savage youth 30-06 that kicked like a mule. If I could do it all over again I would go with the 131 blackjack .257 bullet and put a vias break on it. I re-chambered my 30-06 to a 25-06 with a vias break and it produces .3 MOA and has recoil like a 223. My only regret is I didn't go with the blackjack 131 bullet. The 25-06 will take any game in north america. It is exceptionally well on deer, antelope, and hogs. 9 times out of 10 they never take another step and I have yet to see one go more than 20 yards from impact. The 6.5-06 would be an excellent direction to go as well.

Last edited:
I'm like u and here is what I do.
Watch ebay and gunbroker for remage barrels. I've picked up several goods ones. I buy the go gauge and put it together my self. And like u if it doesn't shoot 1" groups then I sell it.
But u need to float the barrel and bedded the action and reload to squeeze out the accuracy

I'd recommend a 260...good for deer. Mild recoil.

I have a part time guy that does remage threading...so I shop for good barrels
And have him turn them into remage barrels.
I like Remington 5r barrels.
If u can find a good used 6.5 creedmoor barrel u can get someone to remage it for you and mount it your self and save some money.
Remage has become popular and you can get remage barrel nuts from lots of places including ebay.
Good luck.

I had a MOD 700 SS Mnt rifle in 30-06 in a Brown Precision Kevlar stock. I did not mind the recoil felt on my shoulder but hated the way the scope kept trying to gouge out my eye. I think the 06 might have been 22 inch barrel and I put on a 24 inch skinny barrel 270 WIN. The 270 even shooting 140gr SST Superformance recoil was much less than the 06. The 270 shoots sub MOA and recoil very acceptable. I also have a MOD 70 Winchester Ftherwt in a BC stock and recoil for that rifle is also acceptable. Not sure why you don't want a 270, much less recoil and good loaded ammo options. With a long action you could chamber 7mm mauser, 6.6X55 swedish and have room to load long. Also 6.5-06 would be nice.

I had a MOD 700 SS Mnt rifle in 30-06 in a Brown Precision Kevlar stock. I did not mind the recoil felt on my shoulder but hated the way the scope kept trying to gouge out my eye. I think the 06 might have been 22 inch barrel and I put on a 24 inch skinny barrel 270 WIN. The 270 even shooting 140gr SST Superformance recoil was much less than the 06. The 270 shoots sub MOA and recoil very acceptable. I also have a MOD 70 Winchester Ftherwt in a BC stock and recoil for that rifle is also acceptable. Not sure why you don't want a 270, much less recoil and good loaded ammo options. With a long action you could chamber 7mm mauser, 6.6X55 swedish and have room to load long. Also 6.5-06 would be nice.
I don't not like the 270 but it is boring to me to be honest. Same with the 3006. Im looking at something new to try apart from my other reasons.

Sorry to hear you have a recoil problem
I am a small guy weighing 125 pounds
I own 2 30'06's a mod 70 with a Boyd thumhole stock and a Sako M85
I dont have a problem with recoil in either of them I would try a good pad (lots out there) and if that doesn't help you check your posture when shooting and maybe if required get a Boyd stock That would be a cheap fix
30-06 is a great time tested caliber especially for relaoding
My Sako is a dream to shoot but not cheap
Good luck, post what you decide and how it works out for you

I have the exact rifle you just described haha. I took my old Remington 700 .270, and put a Bartlein #3 barrel on it, cut to 26" with a 1-8 twist. It's chambered in .284 Winchester/Norma Match with 0.208 of freebore for the 175-180gr bullets. I shoot 175GR. Berger Elite Hunters in it at 2855FPS. with 54.2gr of RL23 lit with a Federal 210M primer in Peterson .284 brass. It shoots 1/4-3/8" groups at 100 yards and 1/2 MOA or less at 400+ yards. The boattail/bearing surface junction is seated just at the neck/shoulder junction with an O.A.L. of 3.175" at 0.050" off the lands where it shoots best. I have a Hawkins Precision 3 port brake installed that's turned down to the barrel contour. It hits like a hammer and kicks like a .22-250 haha!
Just as i suspected!

I would stay with the 30-06.I had a Rem 700 CDL 270 and rebarreled it to a 30-06.I had PacNor do the work for me and the total cost with shipping was just under $700.I shoots great.They put a 28" SS Super Match Grade Sendero contour on it and I'm getting around 100-200fps faster velocity than my other 30-06's with 22-24" barrels using the same loads which are max book loads.I think the 28" is a bit long,but I'm hunting from a blind so it's really not that big of an issue.The recoil is rather mild because of the extra weight.Another rifle I picked up recently,also a 30-06 is a Sako A7 Big Game.This is a very nice rifle,light in weight and the recoil is surprising light due to the stock design and recoil pad.It has a 24" Fluted SS barrel.The big difference between these two rifles is the PacNor shoots much better,under a 1/2",not fussy about the load and I can get over 3000fps with a 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.The Sako is around 2850fps with the same load,around a 1" shooter.
30-06 resized.jpg

Attachments

• 168 100.jpg
    168 100.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 168 200.jpg
    168 200.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20170519_093156.jpg
    20170519_093156.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • Sako BG.jpg
    Sako BG.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 85
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.