Need some help with a remington 700!

matt_3479

i currently own a remington 700 BDL 7mm rem mag. Very nice gun actually. I also own a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm that is a great carry around big game rifle out to 600 yards. The reason i say this is because i cant really put any custom work towards a browning and i dont know how much further it will stay accurate enough to hit the vitals every time. I would like to eventually transition the 7mm into a long range hunting rig.

Basically i would like to know my options. If i stuck with a 7mm i would either shoot the 168 grain bergers or change the barrel and have it throated for 180 grain bergers. Now with this action, what other calibers would i be able to turn it into? would like to be able to take Moose and elk at long range.

Both of those calibers/rifles will take moose and elk at long range with good shot placement. But, long range is subjective.

The Remington is more easily customizable due to the plethora of aftermarket parts.

I doubt you need to do anything to the throat to shoot the 180 Bergers as I shoot them from my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero without issue. The twist rate is something you need to verify. The Sendero has a 1 in 9.25" twist which is about right.

Otherwise, you might consider rebarrelling as a 300wm, 300rum, or 338wm, etc.

Either way, you'll want a good stock bedded to your action (Boyds/HS Precision); a trigger or replacement trigger (Timney/Jewell); 20 MOA picatinny rail (EGW/NF); tactical rings (Burris Extreme/NF); and good optics (Vortex/NF). I also like muzzle brakes (Holland QD/Muscle Brake).

You also need to budget for all of the supporting gear such as a 1000yd rangefinder (Lieca/Swarovski), ballistics software, reloading equipment, brass, ammo, fuel, range fees, etc... and, the list goes on.

The good news is that with a decent scope and little or no work on your 700, you could probably get started right away. Premium factory ammo may allow you to do some practice. But, you will need to handload to be effective at 500+ yds.

Quality components are important. But, the person that puts it all together makes the difference. There are some things that most can do themselves such as replacing and bedding a stock and mounting a scope. But, for rebarrelling, etc., you should look for a good smith and discuss the project.

There can be lengthy delays. So, it pays to plan ahead.

Good luck!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.