Real Hunters?

I'd like to point out the many fallacies presented in this post.

"A hunter in my opinion is a person that kills to have hunted." So anybody who doesn't tag-out is not a hunter. If you don't kill, you cannot be a hunter, per OP. Seems like being a real hunter is seasonal then. Could even change within the season, or within the same hunting trip.

"Hunting means one knows everything about his quarry. Knows its habits, paterns,where it lives and travels." If you are a child/new hunting-participant (can't call them a hunter, now can I?) tagging along with a parent/mentor, you can't be a hunter, as your threshold of knowledge regarding your quarry is far too low. Also, if you haven't tracked down a single specific animal and have spent considerable time recording its every movement, you cannot be a hunter. So all you that understand a species' general habits and go into an area without a plan to take a single, specific animal, you cannot be hunters.

"The hunter than plans and sets up a rendezvous and than hopefully if he is a competent marksman finishes the hunt." This statement is contradictory to point 1, for a hunter never hopes to finish a hunt. Only hunters finish hunts; everybody else is not a hunter.

"So again no disrespect for people with a limited time frame,disabilities,traveling to far of locations etc." If you don't have time to track down a single animal, if you travel any amount of distance to your hunting spot, or if you have a disability, you cannot be a hunter. But don't feel disrespected. It's just the rule.

"These people must rely on outfiters and guides to do to a great extent the hunting for them and they become the shooters." This point assumes that people with limited time, disabilities, and or who travel for hunting cannot do any hunting work on their own and must be guided. If you can't hunt out of your backyard, sorry, you're not a hunter. Loose a leg in a war, born with Down syndrome? Sorry, automatically disqualified from being a hunter. Only have a weekend to hunt? Believe it or not, also not a hunter.

"People hunting the fringes of parks,roadhunters ( with the exception of antelope ) game reserves and sanctuaries also don't qualify." If you "hunt" near an area which is easy to get to or otherwise off-limits to hunting, sorry, you aren't a hunter. Unless you're hunting antelope (I'm assuming he means pronghorn), then you get a pass and can hunt along roads. They're special.

"And neither do drones, heat seekers, fish finders. lol" Drones, heat seekers, and fish finders cannot be hunters (grammar is important, people). Textbook speciesism right here.

"So how many of us are really a full fledged hunters?" According to the rules set forth by OP, I would estimate that there are less than 1,000 people in the world who are "full fledged hunters". But don't worry, he's not disrespecting you. He's just saying that you don't actually hunt. Your thousands of hours of preparation, thousands of dollars, and all the thought you've given to your predator-based outdoor activity just don't qualify you as a true hunter. Thems the rules. Gotta follow the rules.
If you hunt deer in D12, your a hunter 😉

I let this one simmer for awhile so I could catch up on the all posts. It was worth the wait. I have hunted with everything from a home made bow and arrows as kid to kill bugs and birds to my modern day rifle and optics. I will adapt to my environment and techniques for the given location and game being pursued. There is no wrong or right way to accomplish your goals it if stays within the letter of the law. Everyone's goals are different, everyone's abilities are different. Before you judge a book by it's cover remember that maybe that younger looking person that looks like they are "road hunting" may have a wheelchair in the truck with him and his buddy is there to help collect his game that he can legally take from the road or vehicle. So before anyone classifies someone have a little moment to reflect on the fact that everything is not always what it may appear, and your style and goals are not the world wide standard.
Thank you for reading and thinking about it.
As stated before the tools don't matter.
The way you fill the freezer don't matter.
The question is did you or didn't do your homework?
I didn't mention wheelchairs but my very dear long time friend D has been in one for 30 or so years,he has to be lifted in and out
He hunts, he and his dad drive around in the truck finding a appropriate spot then with some help the wheelchair with D in it is put on the cutline with his 45 120 Sharps over his knees, his dad or brother pic him up at a set time.
Some years back he scored a monster deer that even impressed Jim Shockey.
I believe D is a Hunter
I am NOT classifying OR judging ANYONE.
I just asked about the homework.!!!!!!
This will be my final post on this subject.
Thank you all.
Anyone posting after this,I believe Bob Wright is organising a camp fight😁😁

Sorry Bob

Attachments

• 16307956968887935271562066125435.jpg
    16307956968887935271562066125435.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 49
Thank you for reading and thinking about it.
As stated before the tools don't matter.
The way you fill the freezer don't matter.
The question is did you or didn't do your homework?
I didn't mention wheelchairs but my very dear long time friend D has been in one for 30 or so years,he has to be lifted in and out
He hunts, he and his dad drive around in the truck finding a appropriate spot then with some help the wheelchair with D in it is put on the cutline with his 45 120 Sharps over his knees, his dad or brother pic him up at a set time.
Some years back he scored a monster deer that even impressed Jim Shockey.
I believe D is a Hunter
I am NOT classifying OR judging ANYONE.
I just asked about the homework.!!!!!!
This will be my final post on this subject.
Thank you all.
Anyone posting after this,I believe Bob Wright is organising a camp fight😁😁

Sorry Bob
I am amazed at the amount of responses this post got and some of it very interesting 🤨 I can appreciate the OP 1st post and his willingness to respond with respect and as I ponder his questions and thoughts I find them thought provoking even tho our ideas may differ depending on our upbringing and our priorities and as I've hunted from North Carolina to Alaska and Montana and Wisconsin and on n on I find that each place has a different way of answering that question of real hunters vs fair chase etc…sorry….I will stop there so I don't hurt feelings lol cause I cud really vent on some of what I've seen but will refrain….thanks again Martin@hin

Not everyone is afforded the same opportunities to hunt. That needs to be taken into consideration. I know a teenaged young man who has basically raised himself. He's a good person but inadequate parents. Lived in a shack. He worked for money to support himself while his parents wouldn't work. He killed deer in the yard of this shack and it was a small parcel of land. Now you can say that's not hunting, but he had something to eat when there wasn't much else for him to eat due to the fact that his parents wouldn't do what they should have done as parents. Anyway. I'm not supporting shooting fish out of a barrel but there are considerations to certain situations.

I buy a hunting license every year, there for I am a hunter. I hunt for meat so long you follow the law who care how you get your animal.
It makes a huge ammount of difference how you got your animal. No disrespect, but if you don't understand that, you are not a hunter no matter how successful you might be. Sorry.

It makes a huge ammount of difference how you got your animal. No disrespect, but if you don't understand that, you are not a hunter no matter how successful you might be. Sorry.
Eh. Not so much. There's tribes all though the Amazon, and in the far corners of the earth that hunt purely for their survival. They do what they must to survive to put food on the table and many do it the same way they have for 1000's of years and Id venture to say that hey could care less what some guy that hunts for recreation has to say about it. Are they not hunters? I'd say they're the epitome of what a real hunter is.

A real hunter does what he must to put food on the table because he can't afford to come home empty handed.

A real recreational hunter hunts within a set of guidelines in an ethical and and sportsmanlike manner. So long as he harvests his animal within the established guidelines in an ethical manner than he's a real recreational hunter and it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks about how he does it.

IMHO of course

Last edited:

hunting

noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

hunt·ing | \ ˈhən-tiŋ \

Definition of hunting

1: the act of one that huntsspecifically : the pursuit of game
2: the process of hunting

hunter

noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

hunt·er | \ ˈhən-tər \

Definition of hunter

(Entry 1 of 3)
1a: a person who hunts game

I think I get the question thr OP asked, though I doubt its a question that can be asked without a certain amount of elitism on his/her part.
I don't think one can define a REAL hunter without a certain amount of judgment on those that don't follow the OPs rules of engagement.
All that said, I think I would have qualified for REAL (LOL) hunter status for many years. Life can throw curve balls that change our abilities though, so I'm a much "lazier" hunter now than for most of my life.
For 25 years. I hunted public land for big whitetail with archery gear. I spent hundreds of hours on stand, watching my quarry and learning travel routes , food sources, sanctuaries, and rutting behaviors . I learned the pecking orders in the whitetail family groups and which deer mattered when it came to mistakes on my part . I had great pride in my craft and had some success, and MANY failures.
All that said, everyone has to define and live with their definition of true hunter vs killer . Its not my place, or anyone else's, IMHO, to define that line. You do you........and I will do the same. We are all nessasary and important in the fight we are doomed to be in soon, if the recent trends towards anti hunting continue. Just teach your kids/grandkids to respect the game we hunt and teach YOUR traditions to the next generation. If we don't do that, the term REAL HUNTER might soon mean the person that gets to the best parking spot at the veggie burger stand first !