Re-loading Kits?

Porter

I am wanting to get into reloading but don't have any idea where to start. I heard there are some re-loading kits out there that have the basics of what I will need, so then I can always upgrade from there.
Could you guys give me any info on these kits or at least a list of the equipment I will need to get started.
I appreciate the help.

gun)

If you got the Lee Challenger Kit then all you would need is: dies of your liking, trim length gage, shellholder, powder, primers, bullets, and cases. Thats about really all I can think of that you would need. Then you can upgrade things when you want to do more with your ammo. This is the kit that I got and like it. I'm going to be getting a RCBS Chargemaster here soon, which should speed up my time even more. I'm sure someone will have some other stuff to add, but good luck on whatever you buy. If your like me you'll like reloading.
-Jake-

Getting started in reloading is such a variable thing. You can very reasonably spend from maybe $200 to $$$$ without much trouble. What are your goals starting out and what is your budget?

Also: do you know anyone that reloads? Spending some time with a knowledgeable reloader would be the most valuable thing you could do before you start buying equipment.

I am wanting to get into reloading but don't have any idea where to start.
Start by reading. "The ABC's of Reloading" will give you a good overview. Lyman's "Reloading Handbook" has excellent articles on the various facets of the process.

Searches on this and other forums will bring you a wealth of information, equipment lists and users' opinions. The type of shooting you do will dictate the kinds of equipment you need.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I am actually wanting to do some long range shooting. I have been working as a sniper in the army for the last couple of years and want to learn all I can from everyone I can about shooting and about reloading. The help you all provided to me is greatly appreciated.gun)

You will hear many ideas about what you "need" and what you "should have". I guess you'll just have to wade through the muck yourself Lol ;)

If you want to get into LRShooting I think a Lee Challenger kit would be an OK starting point. The scale is cheezy, but works, powder dump is very adaquate since you will likely be weighing all powder charges anyway. As for dies, part of me says to just purchase a cheap set of Redding or RCBS FL and seater die (2 die kit) - > you can upgrade later if you like.

A standard stainless steel caliper .001" accuracy

A COAL guage adapter (hornady, sinclair... just something to measure the bullet to ogive rather than tip)

It all depends on your price range. The lee press is a little flimsy, but I've loaded with one for 15 years replacing it w/ a RCBS Rock chucker IV (should have got a Redding Big Boss II ).
Digital scales are nice for sorting brass, the Chargmaster would be nice for quick volume loading.
Primer pocket uniformer and a inside primer pocket deburring tool are both nice.
where does one end???

A GOOD LOADING BOOK IS A MUST !!! read it twice and then recite it. if you can't than read it again! some of these books really do a good job teaching you the basics.

good luck, Mark.

I am actually wanting to do some long range shooting.
You will need good equipment that is capable of producing consistent ammo. A good press, Forster or Redding, is a good place to start.

If your budget won't accommodate an RCBS ChargeMaster Combo immediately, manually weighing your charges will be necessary. An RCBS 502, 505, 10-10 or Dillon beam scale (all manufactured by Ohaus) supplemented by a Redding trickler will provide accurate charges. These can be used with any powder measure or a set of Lee scoops.

The Wilson case trimmer is the most accurate and easiest to use.

A Redding bushing sizing die and Redding micrometer or Forster seating die will give straight ammo. Some prefer (especially for factory-chambered rifles) the Lee collet die in conjunction with a Redding body die rather than the bushing sizer.

This is the basic equipment you will need for for accurate reloading. After you have the reloading process in hand, you will want to read Glen Zediker's "Handloading for Competition." You will learn a great deal about equipment, preparation, and process from Zediker.

Hope this gets you started in the right direction.

Look at the press kits available from RCBS, Hornady & Lyman - they all work out WAY cheaper than buying individual tools.
Hornady is even giving away 500 bullets with their Lock-N-Load press kit.

I bought the Rockchucker kit 18 months ago & fitted it with the Hornady L-N-L conversion for ease of die changing. Works well for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.