257 wthrby mag re loading

"locking lugs)=(recoil lugs)" lugs on the bolt of which remmie has 2

The 257 may not use freebore..????...but many other Weatherby calibers do..and I stated the reason why
]

The Remington's chambered in WBY cartridges DO use free bore.

To the OP don't be afraid to try 100gr Barns TTSX's.My factory 700 .257WBY is pushing them at an average speed of 3541 with one ragged hole accuracy.

I just had one built off a weatherby action. Still building loads to cold to test but getting great results with h-1000 and 115 nosler bt. Ill be sure to update when the snow is not a hole deep at my range.

"locking lugs)=(recoil lugs)" lugs on the bolt of which remmie has 2

The 257 may not use freebore..????...but many other Weatherby calibers do..and I stated the reason why

The recoil lug is either attached to the action like on Weatherby's and rifles copied off the Mauser design, or its a washer sandwiched between the barrel and action like on Remingtons and Savages. Now locking lugs lock the bolt in the action via front lugs or rear lugs like on the old Remington 788s. Recoil lugs and locking lugs are two different things.

I have 2 .257's one a Lazermark the other an Ultralghtwght.

I shoot 115 Baltips over H-1000 I have used this load to take very large caribou 337yrds (shot broke shoulder, spine and opposite shoulder) but some would say the bullet failed 'cause I only found the jacket under the skin on the off shoulder. Antelope beyond 500 and whitetails at close as 30 yards without alot of damage. Nosler has perfected the jacket on that 115 for use in the Weatherby and it shoots 3 shots under an inch at 200.

The Lazermark I shoot 100 TTTSX's over Magnum. It was re-barreled with a 26" #2 by Weatherby as I shot out the 24" #1 I had been using 100 Sierra's over RL-22.

A good 120 load is the Speer over IMR-4831

This is a high intensity cartridge and generates alot of heat fast. Let the barrel go cold, I mean cold before shooting another group. I shoot 3 shot groups in under 60 sec. why you say...think hunting conditions...1st cold bore shot count period. Never needed a follow-up....but good to know how rifle will respond if needed in a hunting condition.

You should find COAL to shoot best about 3.305 to 3.330... oops that's for my Weatherby's except for the TTSX's

Thanks Kevin for the info. I'm new to the 257 wthryby mag game.. My first rifle chambered in this was a vanguard backcountry rifle w/24" tube. Sold that and picked up the Remington 700 ss.. I worked up an accurate load using 110 gr. accubonds with 61gr. H414 @3400 fps and it'll shoot .25 inches at 100. I primarily hunt south Georgia and the longest shot I've made has been 218yrds. I'm not real happy with the performance of the accubonds at this velocity. I had the same problem with my 25 wssm rifle with these bullets at less than 300 yrds. Just too hard of bullet and all have exited but leaving small hole making the recovery work a little tough. Just received couple days ago 115 nos. partitions and found some Norma MRP powder and going to test these out on the local hog population. Have plenty of time to play with the loading before deer season... I shoot partitions in my 7mm wsm(160gr.) and it'll leave a nice exit hole making blood trailing easy..(If they Run) Of course my 7mm isn't running 3400 fps either.. COAL in my remmy is 3.268... Would be interested in hearing from folks who push the partition to the max in 257wm with the results on game. No doubt most bullets fed through this rifle will kill quickly... Speed Kills!!!

Ive got mark Vs and 700s. My 257 is a cdl. Bullets seated out to max magazine lenght still dont touch the rifling so yes theres freebore. Also id say that if you compare the small multiple lugs of a wby to the two large ones on a rem there bearing surface is probably abou the same. One may be slightly stronger then the other but both surely will hold up to test loads that they proof a rifle with that are twice normal chamber pressures so niether is week by any stretch.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.