257 wthrby mag re loading

7mmnut

I have a 257 wm in a rem 700(sps,stainless) Dropped it in a HS precision stock(free floating barrel). Shooting 110 gr. accubonds at 3400 fps but wanting to pick up the pace a little. Just got in 2 boxes of 115 gr nos. partitions and noticed on different reloading sites data was for mark V actions only.. Which is finally getting me to my question if someone can help.. I've always heard rem 700 actions were stronger due to the 2 massive bolt lugs compared to the mark v with 9 small lugs with (on average) 5-6 baring the load. True or false? I would assume Remington took this in consideration when they chambered this round... Never cared too much for a weatherby but my remmy is a .25 incher at a 100 yrds. Also need some info on loading 115 gr nos. partitions with Norma MRP powder.. Norma's site goes from 110 to 117 gr. Will use 117 starting loads if no one here has used this combo. Thankslightbulb

I have a 257 wm in a rem 700(sps,stainless) Dropped it in a HS precision stock(free floating barrel). Shooting 110 gr. accubonds at 3400 fps but wanting to pick up the pace a little. Just got in 2 boxes of 115 gr nos. partitions and noticed on different reloading sites data was for mark V actions only.. Which is finally getting me to my question if someone can help.. I've always heard rem 700 actions were stronger due to the 2 massive bolt lugs compared to the mark v with 9 small lugs with (on average) 5-6 baring the load. True or false? I would assume Remington took this in consideration when they chambered this round... Never cared too much for a weatherby but my remmy is a .25 incher at a 100 yrds. Also need some info on loading 115 gr nos. partitions with Norma MRP powder.. Norma's site goes from 110 to 117 gr. Will use 117 starting loads if no one here has used this combo. Thankslightbulb

It'll hold up trust me. Its called the "three rings of steel" for a reason, strongest out there. Be nearly impossible to blow one up. Sorry I can't help you for reloading the .257 WBY, don't have any experience with one. Your powder choice is good for your bullet weight and caliber. There's many of .257 Weatherby guys here so one will surely help you more. All I can tell you is that Norma's site lists 66grs of MRP as a minimum and 69.8grs as the max.

Thanks for the reply Jud.. Never had a fear bout something turnin loose on me , Hey---- It's a Remington! Never see too many build a custom on a MRK V action..

I have the same rifle / stock combo as you. 69.5 grs IMR 7828 with 115 Nosler Partition yielded 3385 fps, and 1/2 MOA accuracy at 100 yards.

-Mike

Thanks for the reply Jud.. Never had a fear bout something turnin loose on me , Hey---- It's a Remington! Never see too many build a custom on a MRK V action..

+1 reason why 99% of customs are built on a Remington or clone of a 700. Remingtons are the best! Haha

Thanks Mike for the info.. Only problem no 7828.. ha Just picked up 2 pnds of MRP yesterday and going to try that.. Been using H414 for the 110 gr. accubonds(have plenty of that) There are several powders slow enough to work but I figured since this is what Norma uses for factory WTHRBY ammo , and the local gun shop had it I'd give it a whirl....Wasn't happy with the price though.. These gouging sons a guns gonna pay for this one day.

RL-33 yielded some very high velocities with the 110 accubond.

You won't be able to duplicate the velocities as your barrel is shorter and isn't a 3 groove. Here is the rifle I used:

Ruger action, 257 Weatherby: 28" #5 fluted SS Lilja 3 groove barrel, moly coated 110 accubond, .015" off rifling. Norma brass fed 215 match primer

Need to mention that this barrel has over 700 rounds through it and is quite worn. This may also be the reason for these high velocities.

Be sure to start low and work up to what your rifle/brass can handle.

Original load 75.5 gr of RL-25 vel 3615 fps

RL-33:

RL-33
starting load 76 gr for vel of 3318
jumped to 80 gr 3432 fps
81 gr 3525
82 gr 3559
83 3625 which slightly faster than old load with RL-25
83.5 3674 fps accurate
84 gr 3704 fps accurate
84.5 gr accurate but one case of four showed pressure this is max case capacity with drop tube

+1 reason why 99% of customs are built on a Remington or clone of a 700. Remingtons are the best! Haha
like a chevy camaro and Ferrari f40. everyone knows how to make a camaro faster , the Ferrari is good to go off the showroom floor!:)

It'll hold up trust me. Its called the "three rings of steel" for a reason, strongest out there. Be nearly impossible to blow one up. Sorry I can't help you for reloading the .257 WBY, don't have any experience with one. Your powder choice is good for your bullet weight and caliber. There's many of .257 Weatherby guys here so one will surely help you more. All I can tell you is that Norma's site lists 66grs of MRP as a minimum and 69.8grs as the max.

The "3 rings of steel" is just so much advertisement ********..and nothing more. How many rings of steel does a Weatherby have??? barrel ( 1)...bolt face (2) and reciever (3)...Gee..they have 3 also!!!!

And if "2 massive locking lugs" was the best...why do artillery cannons have segmented breech block recoil lugs???

Weatherby builds their rifles with freebore which allows the bullet to start down the bore slightly and LOWERS chamber pressure. The same rounds in a non-freebored rifle may exert excessive chamber pressures

The "3 rings of steel" is just so much advertisement ********..and nothing more. How many rings of steel does a Weatherby have??? barrel ( 1)...bolt face (2) and reciever (3)...Gee..they have 3 also!!!!

And if "2 massive locking lugs" was the best...why do artillery cannons have segmented breech block recoil lugs???

Man take a minute to breathe and calm down, geez! No reason to flip out, just answering the guy's question. The .257 WBY isn't so powerful that nothing but a freebored rifle will blow up :rolleyes:. Why are you comparing locking lugs to recoil lugs?!

Didn't say weatherby's were junk, just didn't like em.... I drive a 2012 Dodge 2500 crew cab diesel and don't like Chevy's.. But hey, that's what makes America so great. Don't like something, don't buy it....... REMINGTON, Just rolls off your tounge don't it?

Didn't say weatherby's were junk, just didn't like em.... I drive a 2012 Dodge 2500 crew cab diesel and don't like Chevy's.. But hey, that's what makes America so great. Don't like something, don't buy it....... REMINGTON, Just rolls off your tounge don't it?

+1 I prefer Ford but like you said I can like what I like and you drive what you like.

Man take a minute to breathe and calm down, geez! No reason to flip out, just answering the guy's question. The .257 WBY isn't so powerful that nothing but a freebored rifle will blow up :rolleyes:. Why are you comparing locking lugs to recoil lugs?!

"locking lugs)=(recoil lugs)" lugs on the bolt of which remmie has 2

The 257 may not use freebore..????...but many other Weatherby calibers do..and I stated the reason why

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.