Re-barreling a Ruger m77 mkii to 280 AI?

SuperBruce

I have a Ruger M77 MkII chambered in 30-06 sitting idle because I now prefer to hunt with a suppressor. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it and am considering rebarreling to a shorter barrel (19 or 20") in a profile that can be threaded. If I'm rebarreling, 280 AI seems like a great cartridge for a lightweight all around rifle but I'm wondering if anybody has tried it and if so whether it feeds properly. If it matters, it has the zetyl stock.

It should feed a little sticky if you leave the feed ramp alone, the rails MAY need a polish to suit the wider case up forward. The one's I've built on both MKII's and M77's have had a mixture of feeding fine and needing tweaking to get them to not pop out of the mag and get caught by the extractor. MKII's were worse for this.
I would try a dummy round first and see what happens with a full magazine.

Cheers.

Thanks @MagnumManiac, that's exactly the info I'm looking for. I'm not interested in messing around with feeding issues, feed ramps, etc, so I'll probably stick with 30-06 or maybe go to 270 Win. Or, as dirty as the thought feels, maybe just sell it.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

I did that exact thing. I had shot out my 25-06 MKII that I purchased in 1998. Picked up a new Bartlien .284 barrel on this site. Decided to go the 280 AI route. Sent the barrel off to SPR and had them chamber and thread for a bug nut. Changed the stock out for a maple stock and spun the barrel on. Feeds and shoots great. No issues so far.

Attachments

• IMG_8622.jpeg
    IMG_8622.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8621.jpeg
    IMG_8621.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
Should work just fine in the controlled feed M77 MKII. The magazine is stamped sheet steel & the lips can be polished & bent if necessary, but it should work just fine without any modifications. I would be a good idea to provide a dummy round that fits & feeds well from magazine having bullet of choice so the chamber can be throated accordingly. No feed problems with my MKII with AI rounds. Should your rifle have the old style follower a newer TAB type follower replacement will make bolt operation smoother. Other than polishing feed ranp don't mess with it.

I had my m77 mkii .270 threaded 1/2-28 for a yhm resonator r2. It's the stainless all weather with standard sporter contour. If I had to do it again I would cut the barrel down to at least 20" if not more, it's still 22" now. I love shooting suppressed!

I have two Ruger 77 tang safety rifles that started out life at 30-06s, that were chambered to .270 Ackley Improved. Both rifles feed properly, not sticking or any feed rail issues whatsoever. The .280 Ackley Improved is a ballistically efficient and diversified cartridge. Good luck with your rebarrel.

Another rechamber/rebarrel job that I did was I have done three Ruger 77 rebores from 30-06 to 35 Whelen. The reboring cost around $250 (JES Reboring) and that included shipping. I know that he cuts barrels and pretty sure that he threads them as well. If I were looking for something with a little more reach than the 35 Whelen (that we use for black bear hunting) I would consider a rebore to 338-06, or 338-06 Ackley Improved.

Last edited:
You can have your 3006 barrel threaded or shortened and thread. I had a MKii barrel in 338 win mag threaded basically so I could suppress it.

You can have your 3006 barrel threaded or shortened and thread. I had a MKii barrel in 338 win mag threaded basically so I could suppress it.
How much steel did you have left? I imagine a 338 cal would have a thicker barrel than the 30-06. My barrel diameter is 0.576" at the muzzle (22") and and 0.608" at ~18", meaning I'd need to do 9/16-24 (and have very little to no shoulder) or 1/2-28 threading on a 30 cal which appears controversial.

Mine was just over .6. They threaded it 1/2x28 and I added a self timing brake.

Attachments

• 20230309_194540.jpg
    20230309_194540.jpg
    815.8 KB · Views: 34