Re barrel model 700 or buy kimber mountain ascent

NChntr

Hey guys I have used the forum for a while now with Internet searches to answer past questions I've had and everyone on here seems to be very intelligent on the subject of firearms so I thought I'd join and ask you guys a question that's been on my mind. For a year or so the 280 ai in the Sammi version has interested me and I currently have a model 700 mtn ss in 280 rem. Would I be better off re barreling with a 25 or 26 inch and installing a timney or looking at a mountain ascent. I have already spoke with a smith at hyatts in Charlotte nc and he isn't familiar with the ackley chamberings so that kinda scares me on how good he maybe. ?? He has however recommended a Douglas or shielin barrel and claims to know the guys at Douglas so that made me feel a bit better. I don't really want to mail the current rifle off due to having bad past experiences with shipping a 700 sendero so I would like to find someone local for this method. On the other hand the kimbers seem nice and most of the reviews I have read lean towards them being a good rifle but I have read some bad ones as well. This can happen with anything however I know. If I went the kimber route I would either sell the 280 I have or trade in. I like the idea of having the rifle I own customized but only by a competent smith. Does anyone on here know any other good smiths in nc? Maybe the guy at hyatts is good and I just need to give him a chance but something tells me any smith should have heard of ackley cartridges at this point. Would it be worth having a 25-26 inch barrel over a 24?I know I'll loose a lil fps but is it enough to matter at 300 yards or closer? I do not want anything shorter than 24 however. I have a 22 on my current gun and if I went any less than 24 on the ai I might as well just keep what I have or at least that's my thought. not really interested in a 7 mag or larger due to already having mag rifles. Thanks in advance guys!!

Barrel the Remington. Use a premium barrel, that's where the accuracy's at. I'd not use a 'gunsmith' that wasn't familar with the Ackley Improved cartrides.

+1...If a gunsmith has never heard of Ackley or his cartridges, he don't sound like much of a gunsmith to me... I'd find someone else who can prove he knows what he's talking about.

I'm with these guys. The best part about getting a Remington is the when the day comes to send it to a quality gunsmith to have trued and built up into your dreams.

morning, go to search mode LRH see if u can find a rep smithy in ur state. ask

Len or some of the Platimum members for a good smithy. do not ship the action

and barrel. if in state drive to smithy's location met him up front. if in TX.

go to Pete Phiffier, Hempstead TX. owner and operator, for barrels go to Karen

at hart barrels. outstanding svcs.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.