Kimber Mountain Ascent

CQB Lead Slinger

Well I was a Kimber fan until I purchased this 2000 dollar headache, that should have never passed quailty control. I thought that all of the horrible blogs and forums were just one side of the story, well im here to tell you they ARE the whole story.
Well lets start with the over 2 year wait to get my Mountain Acent in 280 AI. After all that waiting it finally arrived. Upon picking up the rifle I noticed that the front stock bolt head was stripped right from the factory. My Kimber Master dealer advised that he would contact Kimber to get a replacement, and for the time being he would cut a new head on the bolt so the rifle could be taken down.
Well thats when we found problem number 2. Kimber did NOT glass bed my rifle. Kimber clearly lists the rifle and glass and pillar bedded. While looking at the action we observed problem number 3. The barrel and flutes and not lined up with the action. Well after talking this over with the dealer it was decided that I would shoot the rifle before any decision was made about sending the rifle back to kimber.
Well first day at the range. Shot Nosler Custom factory 140gr Accubonds. Well the good news the rifle shot 1, 3 round group into 4 tenths of an inch and 1,3 round group into 3 tenths of an inch both at 100yards. Now the BAD, the rifle would hardly extract the fired case. Looking at the web of the fired cases they like like a belted mag case, large ring and all. Well at this point the rifle fired a total of 8 rounds,all were chronygraphed with an avergae of 3033fps.
Second day at the range with a clean bore. Shot 2 rounds of Corbon 140gr DPX factory ammo at 128 dollars a box. I almost had to beat the bolt open on both fired rounds, chronygraph read 2992 and 2961 fps. Again nice bright ring on the case looking like a belted mag case. At this point I packed up and went home.
Well after cleaning the bore again, while looking into the bore with a light I could see a visable ring in the chamber as if it was cut with a defective reamer. Well that was the final straw, the Rifle it had waited 2 years for had to be retuned to Kimber. Upon retuning to the dealer he clearly observed and the defects in the rifle as well as I wrote a 2 page letter to Kimber about the rifle and included the fired cases. And off to Kimbers repair center the rifle went.

Well heres where it gets worst.

Approximately 5 to 6 weeks later my rifle returns, yaaaaa right, WRONG.

Kimber wrote a repair order for the stock bolt and 4 other things, neither the dealer or I listed as problems. They replaced the stock bolt with one that only engages by 1 and 1/2 threads. This is what holds my 5 pound 4 ounce rifle action into the stock. Well need less to say they never fixed any of the problems. When the dealer attempted several time to contact Kimber for a second repair authorization, Kimber sent 2 email to them that they would have Customer service contact them about the ongoing issues. Well that was the last time Kimber has had contact in over 3 weeks. I personally called and left messages via phone and email 2 times a week for 3 weeks. Still no response. Well now I have a 2 thousand dollar rifle sitting at the dealer that is unfireable due to the defective chamber, and we are still waiting on Kimber to authorize it to be sent in for repait again.
And the best part. I bought the rifle for a hunting trip that as of today I leave for in 9 weeks.

Kimber Mfg. if you are reading this, NICE JOB,QUALITY,and CUSTOMER SERVICE ill never buy another one of your products again. You have been so horrible I would compare your quality with TARUS....ie junk.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.