Kimber Mountain Ascent

Teamramrod

Looking for real world opinions or reviews on the Kimber Mountain Ascent. I am working on a deal with a guy for one in 6.5 Creed, but cant find much other than reviews chasing sponsorships.

I bought one of these used in a .300 WSM about 5 years ago. It was in virtually new condition. I very easily worked up a load for this rifle using RE17 with 168 grain Tipped Triple Shocks. It consistently shoots 1/2 MOA out to 800 yards. It also shoots the 178 ELDX into tiny groups.
My only real complaints are the blind magazine (which I don't care for on ANY rifle) and the action feels a little bit "herky jerky" due to the fluting on the bolt.

I bought one of these used in a .300 WSM about 5 years ago. It was in virtually new condition. I very easily worked up a load for this rifle using RE17 with 168 grain Tipped Triple Shocks. It consistently shoots 1/2 MOA out to 800 yards. It also shoots the 178 ELDX into tiny groups.
My only real complaints are the blind magazine (which I don't care for on ANY rifle) and the action feels a little bit "herky jerky" due to the fluting on the bolt.
I second the action not cycling smooth due to the fluting. Even the fluting on the bolt handle feels wrong when I'm cycling the action.

They are crazy lightweight while still being very solid. Stock is super rigid. Fit and finish is good. Trigger is easy to adjust. They look pretty cool (must love digital camo).

Of the ones I reloaded for, I had the best luck with the lighter for caliber bullets. Barnes TTSX seemed to be super easy to load.

I had one in 280 AI, since sold.
Cons
1. feeding was annoyingly unpredictable. 2. Had to polish feed ramp, gouged brass off the shelf due to a burr.
3. Recoil was punishing without brake.
4. Would not shoot heavy bullets over 140 grains at all.
5. Barrel got hot, fast!!
Pros
1. Light!
2. Love the kimber safety and blind mag for bad weather
3. Great trigger, pretty easy to adjust too.
4. Action cycles smoothly, I think the sharp shoulder of the AI was what gave me feeding issues, so that might be more of a cartridge con than a ding on the rifle.

I sold it to fund my first custom built on a Pierce TI action in 6.5 PRC. No regrets 😉

I watched their videos. I love their channel but they are very critical! I wanted some other opinions. I'm buying this rifle at this point I just wanted to hear opinions.

I watched their videos. I love their channel but they are very critical! I wanted some other opinions. I'm buying this rifle at this point I just wanted to hear opinions.
If I had known you were buying the rifle regardless I would have kept the information to myself as your decision is made. I like these guys because they call it how they see it and it was the exact rifle. Enjoy your new gun.

The only other thing I will add is that I don't LOVE the shape of Kimber's rifle triggers. They are a bit too curved for my taste….
If the 6.5 you're buying is half as accurate as my 300 WSM, you will be happy

I'm not sure if this will help, I have a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08. I tweaked a few things right out of the gate, like I would on any rifle. It shoots better than it deserves to Such a pleasure to carry! It feeds the '08 family of cartridges without a hitch. I would guess it would be the same with the Creed. I suppose I've put maybe 1,200 rounds through it. I'm very happy with it.

Bob

I have the one before it was called the ascent, I think just: Kimber Mountain in 6.5cm
sand paper rough stock in blue/grey
I bought it new and paid $1,200 ish

It is crazy light weight, but I am not too jazzed about it
I agree will all the issues mentioned above:
rough bolt
odd tight trigger curve (easy to adjust)
not very accurate (disappointing)
and I'll add: the odd ball muzzle thread pattern

this is my only experience with a Kimber
it sits in a sock at the very back of my safe
I do not think I would buy another Kimber

Recent Posts