Re 17

PaLuke

Hi everyone and happy New Year. I picked up a 300 WSM A-Bolt with a 26" barrel and ran maybe 10 shots through it and cleaned it with Butches Bore shine. I used Re 17 for the loads and couldn't believe the amount of crud that came out of that gun. After the initial 10 shots I shot 5 more, cleaned it and filth again. I've been reloading for some 20 years and never saw so much powder residue in a barrel. I was close with 10X a few years ago but this is amazing. Has anyone else found this with Re 17? Thanks for the replies PaLuke

Absolutely not. I have shot 100's of loads through my 30-06, 375 Ruger, 280AI and 6.5 rem mag with up to ~50 shots without cleaning. Was thinking that it was a CLEAN burning powder by comparison so your post is a surprise to me.

You may have a rough bore and if you do it will not matter which powder you use, you will collect a lot of powder and copper residue.

This is how rumors get started.

Thanks for the reply, The last thing I want to do is start a rumor about a product that I'm sure many people use. I was just asking about what I'm experiencing. It's a new rifle and very well may have a rough bore. I'm going to try it this weekend with H4350 and Re 17 again. It shot very well for 3 or 4 shots then went downhill from there. Again starting a rumor was not my intention. thanks again for the reply. PaLuke

I actually found it to be fairly clean burning.

But it did appear to be more temperature sensative than I wanted.

Used it for 25-06 and 30-06 loads.....

You just figured out why we pay for hand-lapped bores ! Factory barrels are ROUGH. Tubbs final finish might help if you subscribe to the theory. Good luck. I love batches bore shine !

No problems that I have noticed. What I did get was good velocity and accuracy but poor temp sensitivity. Don't mean to modify your thread but I would get some "Bore Tech Eliminator" to finish cleaning your bore. You might also get some Iosso paste. It deep cleans and smoothes things up a bit......Rich

Hello, Thanks for the replies.. I'm sure it's a dirty bore and I'll take your advice for cleanning up the bore. thanks again. PaLuke

Luke as others have mentioned I have found 17 to be clean burning. If you are running light loads sometimes the powder will not completely burn because the pressures are so low. Low pressures actually affect the burn rate of the powder and make it act like a much slower powder.

It does not sound like your problem is copper fouling so I think cleaning or lapping the barrel are not going to help. If you are below max load and arent showing pressure signs increasing your powder charge might clean it up some.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to shoot it again this weekend if we miss the snow. I'll posts the results as soon as I'm done. Thanks again for the info. PaLuke

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.