RCBS reloading Dies with Window cut in it

Baydog, Why don't you call RCBS and talk to them. I have always found their customer service to be great. Maybe they can send you some info on both the dies. I had the RCBS competition seating die and liked it. Then went with Redding Comp. Seating Die. Can't really tell much difference between the two.

Baydog, Why don't you call RCBS and talk to them. I have always found their customer service to be great. Maybe they can send you some info on both the dies. I had the RCBS competition seating die and liked it. Then went with Redding Comp. Seating Die. Can't really tell much difference between the two.

lightbulbYep, directly from the source.lightbulb

Dang Woods... you do the best tutorials around. I figured you had just showed me where I was screwing up using my 308 seater on my 30 odd 6. I took the top off my competition die and slid the sleeve out that according to you would hug the shoulder of a casing. I wanted to check the relationship between actually a 308 the way it's designed and my use on 30 odd 6. Maybe there's been a change in dies but mine does not come down to the shoulder ....it stops right at the case mouth and is machined there to do so. And my sleeve is not marked to be cartridge specific it just says RCBS 30 Cal. So maybe the buggars got cheap as time went on and cut a corner knowing they could make one die and throw it in about six different die sets?
I just picked up this die set so it's probably pretty new production..... so far my experience has been that my cheap good old Hornady new dimension dies smoke these RCBS competitions concentricity..... and that's pretty sad for what they charge for them.....ouch!

Dang kraky, you are right about the Competition ones, the case does not go up into the sleeve far enough to hit the shoulder. I thought since it had a slope up in there then that was the purpose for it

IMG_20160205_201604959_zps98nbdmyo.jpg

but it does not hit the shoulder, here a 270 case pushed all the way up

IMG_20160205_201839929_zpschw6ihtx.jpg

BUT the Gold Medal does and comes down approx. .30" onto the case body

IMG_20160205_201218299_zpsxr2piljf.jpg

IMG_20160205_201345106_zpsiuramfws.jpg

IMG_20160205_201403200_zpstyoloheo.jpg

That makes the Gold Medal MUCH better IMO

Now I wish I had spent the money once and gotten the Gold Medal ones throughout

Anyone in the market for used RCBS Comp Seaters in 7 mag, 270, 22-250, 6.5 rem mag or 30-06? LOL

Baydog... do you have a concentricity checker? If you do when you buy those comp dies I'm betting you're not going to be too thrilled with what your results are compared to what you spent.

No I don't kraky. I've got a dial indicator for checking roll out on bigger things like shafts or axles..things in the automotive or tractor world but don't really know much about checking the rollout in the bullet world until now. I learn alot on this website and now I've learned something today. ...Being from the eastcoast of VA. really, a long shot for me would be 300 or 400 yards at the very most and thats why I learn so much on here is because I know you guys shoot 1,000yard like we shoot 300 yard. And I'm pretty sure shooting 1,000 yard there is a lots and lots of detail we've never though of...So does the bullet get pressed into the case crooket and thats what causes crappy runout readings??

Dang kraky, you are right about the Competition ones, the case does not go up into the sleeve far enough to hit the shoulder. I thought since it had a slope up in there then that was the purpose for it

IMG_20160205_201604959_zps98nbdmyo.jpg

but it does not hit the shoulder, here a 270 case pushed all the way up

IMG_20160205_201839929_zpschw6ihtx.jpg

BUT the Gold Medal does and comes down approx. .30" onto the case body

IMG_20160205_201218299_zpsxr2piljf.jpg

IMG_20160205_201345106_zpsiuramfws.jpg

IMG_20160205_201403200_zpstyoloheo.jpg

That makes the Gold Medal MUCH better IMO

Now I wish I had spent the money once and gotten the Gold Medal ones throughout

Anyone in the market for used RCBS Comp Seaters in 7 mag, 270, 22-250, 6.5 rem mag or 30-06? LOL

Uhhh..well I guess that answers my question Woods...Gold it is.. sorry didn't mean for ya to want to get rid of all your comp dies..lol..thanks again

Baydog.... there are lots of things that can cause you to build crooked ammo. The biggest culprit is usually the expander ball being pulled up through the neck pulls the neck offline slightly. But there's lots of other causes too. I've fiddled with some pretty cheap dies like some Hornady anD rcbs and gotten them to make phenomenally good ammo. I've had more expensive dies disappoint me.... ( like this first set of RCBS comp dies lol) it's all kind of a crapshoot sometimes. The first big step is to make sure that your size cases have almost zero run out at the casemouth.
If they're not near perfectly straight after sizing it's only going to get worse when you seat your bullet.
You might want to do a Google search using concentricity or run out on ammo search words. You'll probably find more information than you want to read. Some guns seem to be very fussy about straight ammo and others not so much.
Dial indicator checkers are about $100 and if you really like this game you probably should buy one sometime.
until you get one there is kind of a hillbilly way to check your ammo. Take your loaded rounds and roll them across a well-lit countertop focusing your eyes on the tip of the bullet if you see a wobble you're probably a little bit on the excessive side.

Baydog.... there are lots of things that can cause you to build crooked ammo. The biggest culprit is usually the expander ball being pulled up through the neck pulls the neck offline slightly. But there's lots of other causes too. I've fiddled with some pretty cheap dies like some Hornady anD rcbs and gotten them to make phenomenally good ammo. I've had more expensive dies disappoint me.... ( like this first set of RCBS comp dies lol) it's all kind of a crapshoot sometimes. The first big step is to make sure that your size cases have almost zero run out at the casemouth.
If they're not near perfectly straight after sizing it's only going to get worse when you seat your bullet.
You might want to do a Google search using concentricity or run out on ammo search words. You'll probably find more information than you want to read. Some guns seem to be very fussy about straight ammo and others not so much.
Dial indicator checkers are about $100 and if you really like this game you probably should buy one sometime.
until you get one there is kind of a hillbilly way to check your ammo. Take your loaded rounds and roll them across a well-lit countertop focusing your eyes on the tip of the bullet if you see a wobble you're probably a little bit on the excessive side.
yep karky there's another $100 that i need to invest because i would like to check the rollout on all the ammo i load. I don't think i'm probably the only one that get a piece of brass sometimes that doesn't re-size as easy as other piece of the same size brass sometimes not enough case lube or just a possessed piece of brass and that would be a great thing to check...I'm wandering until i get something to check the runout if i could lock the brass in my lyman manual case trimmer and somehow set up a dial indicator to check runout...Heck I'm a hillbilly anyway so ya know I'm gonna try the poorman way first..Thanks kraky I'm gonna try and let ya know how it turns out..lightbulb

Hey kraky i ended up ordering the Lock-N-Load® Ammunition Concentricity in stead of the sinclair althought i'm pretty sure the quilaty of the sinclair is better i went and hit the easy button again without doing all of my homework...in other word does anybody know if the hornady can check a empty cartridge before it is loaded? I can find anything saying it will..I went with the hornady because the hornady allows ya to make adjustments to true up loaded ammo and the sinclair doesn't alothough i seen where some guys drill holes in they're bench and stick the bullet end in the drilled hole and pull it back in place where the hornady allows ya to do it right on the tool without removing it from the tool but now i'm worried because of the way hornady holds the case in the tool.. by loaded pressure on the tip of the bullet..not sure if i will be able to hold a empty case by the end of the neck with out a bullet.. really need to check the neck before as the first step, or would like to know myself what i'm dealing with before i resize it...does anyone know if it will??

I have got one of the Hornadys and don't like it.... no you can't check the case mouth after sizing. Add to that the readings are not real reliable because they're taken so close to the holding point of the bullet ....at least that's my theory. ammo that shows excessive run out on my RCBS many times will show very little on the Hornady. a lot of people think pushing on the bullet when correcting is not very good for consistent neck tension. All that said you can play with a little bit and see what you think ....what really matters is what happens on target anyhow some people do like them. If you don't like it you can pedal it on ebay or a chat room.

Hey kraky i ended up ordering the Lock-N-Load® Ammunition Concentricity in stead of the sinclair althought i'm pretty sure the quilaty of the sinclair is better i went and hit the easy button again without doing all of my homework...in other word does anybody know if the hornady can check a empty cartridge before it is loaded? I can find anything saying it will..I went with the hornady because the hornady allows ya to make adjustments to true up loaded ammo and the sinclair doesn't alothough i seen where some guys drill holes in they're bench and stick the bullet end in the drilled hole and pull it back in place where the hornady allows ya to do it right on the tool without removing it from the tool but now i'm worried because of the way hornady holds the case in the tool.. by loaded pressure on the tip of the bullet..not sure if i will be able to hold a empty case by the end of the neck with out a bullet.. really need to check the neck before as the first step, or would like to know myself what i'm dealing with before i resize it...does anyone know if it will??

I am very please with mine. Here my none scientific test measurement on bullet round out (.300 WSM WW brass, .300 WSM RCBS dies, 215 Berger VLD) ...

Cartridge%20run%20off_zpslag5uiae.jpg

My gunsmith uses it extensively and got me sold. :D

Thanx Kraky. I was wandering if i could use it to check the necks on the cases as step one..before resizing to see what I'm starting out with just to see how true the neck is before I do resize it

I am very please with mine. Here my none scientific test measurement on bullet round out (.300 WSM WW brass, .300 WSM RCBS dies, 215 Berger VLD) ...

Cartridge%20run%20off_zpslag5uiae.jpg

My gunsmith uses it extensively and got me sold. :D

Thanx FEENIX.. Can you use it to check the cases before you resize to see what you're starting with? After I ordered it I relized that everything I find as far as useing the tool shows the tool being used with i bullet in the case..I'd like to use it to check how straight the necks are before I do anything or at least where I'm starting..
Thank you

Thanx FEENIX.. Can you use it to check the cases before you resize to see what you're starting with? After I ordered it I relized that everything I find as far as useing the tool shows the tool being used with i bullet in the case..I'd like to use it to check how straight the necks are before I do anything or at least where I'm starting..
Thank you

Unless there's a trick out there, you need the bullet to hold it in placed. Having said that, I just measured 10 of my loaded ammo (not the same in sample batch) and indicated the neck and all are within .002".

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.