RCBS reloading Dies with Window cut in it

Here's what I use to correct ammo after checking it on the RCBS gauge.
TT-Equipment-Index

The idea, and I believe in it somewhat, is that by modeling the neck you're not disturbing the bullet to neck relationship.

I try to bend things as little as possible once I get a reading under .003 run out I'm happy.

If I correct things using the true tool and RCBS and then check them on the Hornady unit I get near zero run out always. But if I correct things on the Hornady and get near zero run out and then check on the RCBS I can get some crazy bad readings like five to seven thousands run out.... I can't explain why....not always but occasionally.

It's weird there are so many reloaders out there that just swear you got to have good run out but I haven't seen that always have to be the case. Years ago I sorted two boxes of federal Sierra factory 168 match loads for 308 for my buddy on my RCBS.
I sorted them in groups of ammo that were under .003..... from .003 to .006 and over .006. Some of the bad ammo was .011. He shot them at 330 yards in a tight chambered savage factory law enforcement 308. Bottom line was all groups Hovered around 2 to two and a half inches and nothing was different between the best ammo and worst.

One thing you might experiment with on the Hornady gauge is that you can actually push on the case neck instead of the bullet to correct things. I still think you're going to disturb neck tension but it may not be that important and like I said in an earlier post what really matters is what happens on target.

Here's what I use to correct ammo after checking it on the RCBS gauge.
TT-Equipment-Index

The idea, and I believe in it somewhat, is that by modeling the neck you're not disturbing the bullet to neck relationship.

I try to bend things as little as possible once I get a reading under .003 run out I'm happy.

If I correct things using the true tool and RCBS and then check them on the Hornady unit I get near zero run out always. But if I correct things on the Hornady and get near zero run out and then check on the RCBS I can get some crazy bad readings like five to seven thousands run out.... I can't explain why....not always but occasionally.

It's weird there are so many reloaders out there that just swear you got to have good run out but I haven't seen that always have to be the case. Years ago I sorted two boxes of federal Sierra factory 168 match loads for 308 for my buddy on my RCBS.
I sorted them in groups of ammo that were under .003..... from .003 to .006 and over .006. Some of the bad ammo was .011. He shot them at 330 yards in a tight chambered savage factory law enforcement 308. Bottom line was all groups Hovered around 2 to two and a half inches and nothing was different between the best ammo and worst.

One thing you might experiment with on the Hornady gauge is that you can actually push on the case neck instead of the bullet to correct things. I still think you're going to disturb neck tension but it may not be that important and like I said in an earlier post what really matters is what happens on target.

Wow Kraky this is a tricky game...I'm all over the board..I like that tr-tool. It's thick enough to have plenty of neck support so when you do put a little pressure on it it will actually bend in the shoulder area with out effecting the bullet seat or spread the neck open...And now I see that RCBS makes a rollout tool that I like too..So that's what i mean by I'm all over the board..I kinda like the ideal of the tru-angle with the RCBS concentricity tool..I already ordered the hornady tool from brownell's but they haven't processed it yet because they are closed on the weekends...hhmmmm...wander if i can cancel that order and buy the rcbs tool from them..Where do ya buy the tru-angle tool from, the website you gave me or I wander if brownells has them too... dangggg...

Pretty sure you'll have to do the website, it's pretty reasonable. It's kind of neat when one of our fellow shooters comes up with a good idea and takes it to a finished production product .....and we like it.... and the price is reasonable!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.