Rcbs FL question.

I totally agree!!

If it was only taught to set up dies off of headspace numbers you get from your brass from your rifle this could have been prevented. It's just not the common knowledge gained from manuals and instruction. It needs learned from places like here and from mentors at the range. I know I didn't learn it in a book.
Shep

He tumbles after sizing to get all of his lube off. He sprays one shot in and on them. I discussed the benefits of bushing died for sizing also. Good guy and will get it done for sure.
I don't know what words to say to make this sound right but here goes. And this is only about factory method to set up a die.
You can do it their way and get an acceptable result, until you don't. Then you have no clue as to why it doesnt work. Doing it the factory die setting way relies on so many clearances being there and not stacking the wrong way. One spec way out. 2 specs a bunch out. 3 specs just a little too much and you don't have success. And really how many people have that perfect set back of .001 to .003 using the factory method. Not to dang many I bet. Once you know how to set up dies with tools and measurement of setback you will always have success. Plus longer brass life and more accuracy. There is Probaly a YouTube on this exact subject somewhere over there.
Shep

I use the multi-thickness set of Redding "Competition" shell holders so I don't have to move my dies back at all. I like to size my brass with the die making contact with the holder because I believe that gives me more consistent results. I simply choose whichever shell holder that gives me the bump that I want (typically 0.001"). They should work with any brand of FL die

ps - And if one of those shell holders doesn't give you the bump you want, I would say your die is definitely out of spec.
I have seen those pretty cool set up. I've never bought any but I will keep them in mind

Griz you got to keep us up to date on this new 300. Im looking at doing one in a b/r rifle for 1000 Yd. Shooting using the 250atip.
Shep

Griz you got to keep us up to date on this new 300. Im looking at doing one in a b/r rifle for 1000 Yd. Shooting using the 250atip.
Shep
Will do it's pretty crappy weather but this weekend I'm going to try and get out a little. The problem with the 300 is I'm almost out of powder and I can't find any around.

Shep
Been messing around tonight with the set up. I will throw some pics on with this. I'm still not 100% sure why the measurements are so different. But just to throw another loop into this whole deal. My chamber has been recut recently. So I'm not sure what brass was fired out of the old one. The picture with the -.0090is a resized piece that I had sitting in a box primer and ready to be loaded there are 4 of them in it and they have all been fired at least once. My zero on my caliper was set to the recently fired stuff I had so it's way smaller that the chamber. But the .0015 measurement is what it's set to now.

Attachments

• CBD61DF6-0A0A-4CF2-AE3F-A4CF23E17994.jpeg
    CBD61DF6-0A0A-4CF2-AE3F-A4CF23E17994.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 97AD9B80-1087-4FC6-B938-5327FCF05975.jpeg
    97AD9B80-1087-4FC6-B938-5327FCF05975.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
At least have to start with a case you know what happened to. I always start right after fireforming. You cant keep changing the parameters. If you cut the chamber deeper you are going to have to fire form to this spec now. Why did you change the chamber?
Shep

At least have to start with a case you know what happened to. I always start right after fireforming. You cant keep changing the parameters. If you cut the chamber deeper you are going to have to fire form to this spec now. Why did you change the chamber?
Shep
When the chamber got cut he caught a burr inside and it was leaving rings around the shoulder. It was shooting pretty inconsistent and he did the work for free to make it right so I just had it done.

Ok. Those happen on a brand new sharp reamer. Never seen it again period, after i razor scrape the edge before final cuts. Lightly run a limp razor around all flutes and you will pick up even the smallest stuck chip. Brand new carbide seems to be the worst offender.
Shep

It sounds to me like you might need to try a separate body die and neck sizing die along with a case gauge. The chamber on my 300 RUM is minimum spec, so I usually only neck size. I started having case extraction issues when neck sizing only. Decided to body size, and the shoulder grew .002- .003. Had to remove a bit of the bottom of the die to get shoulder where it needed to be. Now I body size, then neck size and trim.

For best accuracy and consistency I will tend to do a FL resize about every fourth load on those I'm neck sizing. Otherwise you will eventually get into some head space issues.

Even then though I'm only FL sizing enough to push the shoulder back enough to get smooth bolt work with minimal resistance.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts