RCBS Competition Seating die

davkrat

Interested in upgrading to one of these and being able to use it on multiple cartridges with additional bullet guides sounds appealing. I've seen a comment about bad runout with these. Anyone have experience with them?

Never trie the RCBS Comp Seater, but I can tell you that the Redding Competition Bushing dies are incredibly precise. But they're not cheap.

Some run-out is to be expected in bullet seating. The important thing is to keep it to a minimum. Serious run-out is often caused by using the incorrect seating stem for the type of bullet being used. It is also caused by failure to keep the die and all of its parts clean. Even my Redding competition dies need to be handled with love and affection.
Uneven pressure at any point in the seating process will cause run-out so it is often a good idea to seat the bullet only a few thousandths, turn the case 180 degrees, and seat it fully. Sometimes the run-out at seating is actually the fault of a poorly sized neck.

Measuring run out at each step, no seater makes even 10% of the trouble an expander ball used on the same step as sizing can. I think any seater can make ammo that will shoot better than I can, but a cheap seater is just one more of the thousand cuts that keep me from getting below 0.5 moa 95% of the time.

I don't check for run out so I won't talk about it but as far as using it with other calibers.

I have the 308 comp die and I have used it for 30-06 and also I can use it for 300 win mag.

Love the bullet window.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.