Rcbs charge master combo on it"s way ..... ?

bigbuck

Well I should recieve my new digital scale combo in the mail today wahooo.
I have a few questions to those of you who use this scale. Will the floresent light thats hanging over my reloading table affect my new scale. my dad has the lyman 1200 and it affects his ? I have also read were some people have taken a straw and attached it to the powder tube in order to help the powder flow , so have any of you done this to yours and what exactly does this do for the rcbs scale ?

Thanks and i'll take any advice I can to be able to better use this new toy:)

BigBuck

Last edited:
Hey, now you can burn that barrel of the 300RUM faster and stick something else on there :D I'm still short charging and trickling up old school style. :rolleyes:

the chargemaster is the best thing for reloading since sliced bread... does that make sense???:D

I have a 12" flourescent above my bench, maybe 24-30" above the chargemaster, which is on 90% of the time I use it. Does it have an effect; I have no idea what it would do, if anything. I just calibrate it each use and go from there.

The straw is a good improvement. It keeps the machine from over-dispensing your charge. I just cut a 1/2" to 1" piece of red straw and slid it into the tube, and over-charges stopped happening 95% of the time, where I used to have about 50%overcharge by .1 or .2grain (the scale tells you when its over). I still keep a very small scoop next to the machine for the rare overcharge.

What I do is dispense one charge while seating a bullet over the previous charge. There is only one charged cartridge at any time, which is good in case of an accidental bump or whatever mishap might occur. Just don't bottom out the press during the last 1/2 grain of dispensing.

When you finish loading, empty your chargemaster into a shallow bowl and return it to the powder can, then close the drain spout. Before loading powder, make sure the drain spout is closed every time. After draining the hopper, I usually set my dispensing to 99 grains and about 30 grains comes out of the tube, just to make sure the entire system is empty.

That's enough for now. Enjoy your chargemaster.

I use the straw trick, and it seems to work fine. Get the straw from McDonalds, since they are a little larger and fit great.

I think the FL-lights problem probably originates more from the power source, rather than the lights them selves. All the chemistry and biology labs at work have nothing but FL-lights, and all the scales seem fine. We would have noticed a problem long ago if there was some strange interaction.

If you can isolate the scale near your reloading bench, then you can seat bullets, and dispense powder all at the same time. This really saves time, and is way less boring.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts