Rangefinder

dzrtram

I saw "Kidcolt's" post about the Leica, with the link. I hit the link and I saw this
40510 Leica RangeMaster 7x21 800 yard laser rangefinder SALE

I am not a long range hunter as most of you are,and I know nothing aboutRangefinders. I have read many times that Bushnell sells by far the most. Long range hunting for me is about 400-800 yards. Is this Leica good for me, or do you all have another recommendation? I sure would appreciate
your help, and any advice or recommendations about any part of purchasing and using a rangefinder.
Thank you
smile.gif

[ 11-26-2003: Message edited by: dzrtram ]

The 1200 yard scan model will give you better service than the 800 yard one over a variety of conditions. It's considered the one to get until you get into longer distances were folks move into the military ones.

AB

While I agree with AlbertaBound's comments, I use the 800 at the ranges you have inquired about. I have no complaints at all and most of my usage is on prairie poodles.

The 1200 is stronger and 'smarter', but the 800 is still a good unit and can be had for a bargain.

For my reality, I've not had a need to upgrade.

Good luck and good groups to ya.

Correct, I was commenting upon the LRF 800. I should have been more specific.

The longest reads I have achieved have been on antelope. The readings were between 805 and 812 yards.

I've had reads on non-targets at farther distances, however, I would prbably not shoot a target with such readings as I don't know that they can be trusted. I just don't know enough about finders and their calibration. Besides, 800 yards is my limit. Quite honestly I have yet to break the 600 yard barrier on a big game animal. (I shoot a quarterbore)

The farther out the target is, the better your technique needs to be. I use a light bag, (sock), to rest the finder on when working from the prone.

DZRTRAM,
Two years ago I almost bought a Bushnell 800 because it could range about twice as far as I was would ever shoot. Now I am shooting 7-900 and glad that I bought the Lieca 1200. Saving a few dollars up front my cost you in a few years if your needs change. But giving the option between the 800 and guessing, the 800 is a great choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts