Which Rangefinder?

Inky Doc

I really don't like asking these types of questions but I can't find what I'm looking for on typical internet reviews. I'd like to buy a rangefinder that can give me readings out to 500 (and maybe more!) yards and have a relatively accurate reading off a grassy hill, a creek bed or the side of a mountain. I can't even present a price range. I'd like to think that I can get what I want for less than $500. I've also started to become a fan of Vortex optics as I've gotten 2 of their rifle scopes recently and have been impressed. But I'd like to hear from someone that knows more than me (if you're reading this then you know more than me) that can give a few options to consider.

Thank you for your time.

Doc

Vortex Ranger
Leupold 1200 tbr
Sig Sauer 2000

Prices range is right. All will do 500 yards. Just a matter of what you like.

The Sig Kilo 2000 gets high marks and is within your budget. I purchased one for my son for his birthday and he says it's far better than his Leupold at 500 yds and beyond. There is a long thread here on LRH about the Kilo, just use the search function in Optics Forum.

I really don't like asking these types of questions but I can't find what I'm looking for on typical internet reviews.

LRHcustomsearch_zpsa1485285.jpg

I have hhad my Leupold 1000tbr for some time, it works very well to around 800yrds on dull days, a little less in bright sunshine, and about 500yrds is max if raining or misty on shiny objects, a wet deer in rain, 300yrds is absolute max.
I may upgrade to the 1200tbr, that's how much I like it.

Cheers.
gun)

I actually wasn't real keen on my Leupold. I only had it for a year before I traded up. While it may be a little more range than what your asking for now a used Leica 1600 might be an option. I have used mine out to a max of 1999yds. 17-1800 yards is pretty common in all lighting conditions. If you look around you should be able to find one right around that $500 mark.

For the extra money they cost it is hard to beat the Liecas. My old 800 yard model ranged a deer at 750 yards on an overcast day. If I were you I would look into the Lieca line of range finders.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.