Rangefinder input

MT257

Currently have a vortex ranger 1300. Seems to work for most any situation except in stubble fields. The last two falls I cannot get the thing to range past 300 in a stubble field. I know that weather (snow) can affect the readings too but struggled with it in the snowy conditions on Saturday. What's everyone using and thoughts on better items? I want a rangefinder that can give distances in a stubble field, in the elements and have angle compensation in it. Thanks.

Ya. All the current series will do angle compensation. The newest Leica Geovids are impressive and have been hearing great things about them.

Currently have a vortex ranger 1300. Seems to work for most any situation except in stubble fields. The last two falls I cannot get the thing to range past 300 in a stubble field. I know that weather (snow) can affect the readings too but struggled with it in the snowy conditions on Saturday. What's everyone using and thoughts on better items? I want a rangefinder that can give distances in a stubble field, in the elements and have angle compensation in it. Thanks.

What is your budget and distance limitations? There are members here that have $2K+ set-ups ...

That is why I ask, "actual" budget is always the driver for me. Are you near a store, i.e., Scheels, where you can "actually" try them?

Yes I am. I plan this winter to do just that. I can get Leica at a discount. It never really dawned on me until the other day. But by not having tested one out my guess would be that they are top of the line as their main focus of production is surveying equipment which is real dependent on the measurement of distance while conducting land surveys.

Yes I am. I plan this winter to do just that. I can get Leica at a discount. It never really dawned on me until the other day. But by not having tested one out my guess would be that they are top of the line as their main focus of production is surveying equipment which is real dependent on the measurement of distance while conducting land surveys.

I have a Leica 1600 gifted to me by my son when they first came out and still serving me well. I was out antelope hunting last weekend with a buddy and was ranging them at 1400Y. I have ranged as far as 2200Y but it is inconsistent and has no idea of accuracy pass 1000Y. Leica makes excellent products. Good luck!

I have a Leica 1600 gifted to me by my son when they first came out and still serving me well. I was out antelope hunting last weekend with a buddy and was ranging them at 1400Y. I have ranged as far as 2200Y but it is inconsistent and has no idea of accuracy pass 1000Y. Leica makes excellent products. Good luck!
How does your Leica perform in stubble field scenarios?

How does your Leica perform in stubble field scenarios?

RF has reflective and non-reflective range effectiveness and as you previously noted environmental conditions can affect this. When I cannot get a consistent reading from the antelope, I normally range what is near them. With my example, they were across the ridge and was ranging the grass behind and in front of them. The newer models should do even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.