Spotting scopes input????

Both the Vortex and Burris spotters have the option of using fixed 22x Eyepieces with either Mil or Moa hash marks. Could be useful but I've never looked through either so no help there.
Hey, i like the lines of that boat, maybe built in NC?
Anyway the 20x or 22x wide angle would be a very popular eyepiece among LR hunters.
No doubt the most popular.
I personally prefer 15x for scanning, especially when mirage is a factor, and its still enough power to see horns at distance. I carry others along of higher power including a zoom if i need the power.
I had very large 15x eyepieces made for my 77mm Kowas by adapting them to the bayonet system.
As for the hash marks, they arent really very usefull in a spotter. Ive seen guys have a cross hair installed in one so they could fix it on an object so their buddy could look and find it easier in his own glasses.
But its actually easier to just walk them in from say a large pine tree or a big rock you both can see.
If they matched the reticle in the shooters rifle scope, there could be a more valid argument for them.
But ive known guys who mounted a duplicate rifle scope to the bracket on their glasses for that purpose.
And after a couple years the scope disappeared. Enough said, no more questions necessary.

Used this in my early years,only 20x40.My son using it here Micro window mnt on screw bow holderView attachment 186500
Looks like one of the small Leopolds. I think the15x30x50 is one heck of a scope. I've looked through one of those in the past outside and almost bought one. It was very clear and it was extremely packable. I just looked at the price on one. They have went up about 200 dollars in the last 10 years.

Last edited:
One other option is I buy a small compact scope such as the Leopold GR 15x30, but keep saving and then buy a Swarovski spotter which is what me and the wife both would like to have but she has told me if that is what we want then we need to save up for it which would put me into next year before buying a really good spotting scope. It would be the buy once cry once and probably one of my kids would get it much later on in life.

Yobuck, thanks for the kind words on the boat. My dad and I built it about 6 years ago here in Morehead City, NC. Now back to the spotters...

For those of y'all saying Kowa how do they stack up to swarovski? I guess I am a little naive when it comes to spotters because I have always assumed Swarovski to be the best. To be honest I've never heard of Kowa until I read this post. After looking them up they have pretty awesome reviews, but still cost a pretty penny. I currently use a small 15-30x50 leupold that works, but want to upgrade. Had my sights set on a swarovski but if Kowa are better???

If you havent looked through a Meopta Meostar you should, I will put mine up against any spotter.

For those of y'all saying Kowa how do they stack up to swarovski? I guess I am a little naive when it comes to spotters because I have always assumed Swarovski to be the best. To be honest I've never heard of Kowa until I read this post. After looking them up they have pretty awesome reviews, but still cost a pretty penny. I currently use a small 15-30x50 leupold that works, but want to upgrade. Had my sights set on a swarovski but if Kowa are better???

I had my Swarovski ATX with the 65mm lens side by side with a Kowa 80mm lens. As far as clarity; they were neck and neck.
Wasn't fair to compare their brightness because of the 15mm advantage on the Kowa. But I'll still say it, it was brighter and could see more into the evening.
When looking at the moon, again the clarity was neck and neck. From all the way out to all the way in at 65x each. The FOV was literally identical to my eyes. But the Kowa was brighter. Almost too bright to be zoomed all the way out to 20x when staring at a bright moon. The swaro only zooms out to 25x I believe, so maybe that's why it didn't seem "too bright".
I liked the swarovski large zoom and focus controls more than the kowa. But both were superbly smooth. But I could be a little more precise with the big discs on the swaro and it would be easier to use if any type of thin or thick gloves were on your hands.

You really can't go wrong with either. The Swarovski ATX system has more option that include the 85mm and 95mm lenses which they claim zooms from 30x-70x. It would be interesting to compare those larger lenses.

The Kowa is awesome. But If I were to buy again I would get the Swarovski again.

C773E312-7922-4534-A676-207AD993F751.jpeg

But I'm a Swarovski fan. I have two rifle scopes too.

In my opinion, Kowa's 883/884 is the best hunting spotting scope period. If your looking to save weight or money the Kowa 77 series scopes are currently on sale. The 663/664 scopes will hold their own with scopes that cost twice as much, and the 553/554 have no equal in their class.
On sale where? Not familiar but willing to try for the right price.

I have compared the Kowa 884 side by side with many Swarovski scopes under many different conditions and the only scope that can hold its own with it in my opinion is the STX/ATX 95. I have also compared it to top of the line Zeiss and Leica scopes and the Kowa was much better. Haven't yet compared it to the Zeiss Harpia. I have compared the Kowa 664 side by side with Swarovski 65HD and could not decide which was better. I do like the rubberized finish of the Swarovski better but I think the dual focus of the Kowa is better. Obviously, Swarovski makes a wonderful product, but if you are truly wanting the finest spotting scope available, it would be a shame to not look through a Kowa 88 with the wide angle zoom eyepiece. FWIW, I've got a 15 year old Nikon ED82 that will hold its own with an STS 80HD, so don't be afraid to think outside the box. I've never had a chance to look through the top of the line Meopta, but I've heard they are wonderful also. If you want less emotional reviews, research the bird watching forums. They are much more knowledgeable and analytical in their evaluations than 99% of hunters/shooters.

I haven't been able to find what type of glass is used in the swarovski. If is the HD or the fluorite glass of some sort. Looked all over there website but still could not find it. Anyone know?

I have compared the Kowa 884 side by side with many Swarovski scopes under many different conditions and the only scope that can hold its own with it in my opinion is the STX/ATX 95. I have also compared it to top of the line Zeiss and Leica scopes and the Kowa was much better. Haven't yet compared it to the Zeiss Harpia. I have compared the Kowa 664 side by side with Swarovski 65HD and could not decide which was better. I do like the rubberized finish of the Swarovski better but I think the dual focus of the Kowa is better. Obviously, Swarovski makes a wonderful product, but if you are truly wanting the finest spotting scope available, it would be a shame to not look through a Kowa 88 with the wide angle zoom eyepiece. FWIW, I've got a 15 year old Nikon ED82 that will hold its own with an STS 80HD, so don't be afraid to think outside the box. I've never had a chance to look through the top of the line Meopta, but I've heard they are wonderful also. If you want less emotional reviews, research the bird watching forums. They are much more knowledgeable and analytical in their evaluations than 99% of hunters/shooters.
Well fact is that color is much more important to birders also, so that needs to be considered.
Whereas hunters for the most part dont get all hung up over that issue, clarity being the important thing.
Fact is that they are all good, but some maybe better for specific things.
And for those wishing to put two of them in a bracket, your choices are limited to what does and dosent work for that. Angles for example wont.

So I watched some King of the 2 mile vids and there were a lot of vortex spotter and swaroski on the line. There was also one big set of high lander Kowa's which looks like 2 spotting scopes side by side. I never heard too much about kowa until everyone started posting on here. Sounds like they put up some good glass. Also the Long range pursuit group use the swaroski and the vortex as well in there hunting vids. I know there is a lot of sponsor ship that goes on with that but they must work pretty good or they would not use them. Also another thing I don't think the big 80's is what people are using for packing. Looks like the next step down is getting the job done.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.