Rangefinder For Snow Conditions

I am a bit puzzled by the question...if it is snowing, I can understand having issues with laser rangefinders, but if it is just snow on the ground, that should not have an effect.

As far as snow in the air, almost all consumer rangefinders use 905 nanometer lasers (freq). Laser rangefinders that use 1550 nanometers can range through snow and fog much better.

I am a bit puzzled by the question...if it is snowing, I can understand having issues with laser rangefinders, but if it is just snow on the ground, that should not have an effect.

As far as snow in the air, almost all consumer rangefinders use 905 nanometer lasers (freq). Laser rangefinders that use 1550 nanometers can range through snow and fog much better.
I'm not sure what is happening. Part of the problem is the rangefinder I think. Imagine hunting in a flat tundra where the only thing not snow is a fence post and the barb wire. Where I made my first set on Sunday there isn't a tree, bush, or tumble weed for a mile at least. Snow covering all vegetation. Maybe the top of a rock pile here or there. Its hard to "target" a coyote at 400 yards in those conditions. I think it's so flat that the rangefinder can't reflect the laser back. I really don't know.

Was it foggy at all? Or snowing in the air or you just meaning snow on the ground? We have been having fog a lot hear and I noticed the range finders between 3 of them that they don't work that great in fog.

Been there done that. Snow hampers every one I have tried including my BR2 the other day. Some days out here in the snow you just won't get a good range. The glare, position of the sun, if there is snow fog or actual fog, or even corn/flower stubble. Best you can do is get a Close range on something that will range and guesstimate. If all else fails, call them in closer😉. Some guys will use onX or a GPS and range them that Way. Most guys on here won't understand the Dakota problems but they are real🤣😂

Been there done that. Snow hampers every one I have tried including my BR2 the other day. Some days out here in the snow you just won't get a good range. The glare, position of the sun, if there is snow fog or actual fog, or even corn/flower stubble. Best you can do is get a Close range on something that will range and guesstimate. If all else fails, call them in closer😉. Some guys will use onX or a GPS and range them that Way. Most guys on here won't understand the Dakota problems but they are real🤣😂
did you try Fog mode with the SIG 10k

I think it does have something to do with the low angle of the sun and the clear sky. Lots of glare.

I wish these yotes would come closer. At this point they've heard some calling based on their behavior. I'd rather spot and stalk them I think. Not easy to do on a pair of snow shoes. Anyone know how to "stealth snowshoe".

I'm going to have to go old school and range based on their size in the reticle. That's a summer project I'm afraid.

There are times when you are better off going old school not to mention it's less expensive and keeps your brain in good shape to exercise it.

I've asked this same question with no good responses. This year has been tough. I agree with it being the glare of all the snow. I have used my Leupold and vortex fury's and have struggled. Also had buddy with Leica rangefinder with one day struggle not sure of model. It's frustrating when you call them in to have them stand and look at you and not be able to range them for shot. I don't think my white camo is shiny enough for the snow and I must stand out enough to have them holding up.

This year we have had a lot of snow so everything is completely covered. I hunt the open prairie for coyotes and today it was sunny and I just couldn't get a range on anything. I have a bushnell that is probably 15 years old and it's time for an upgrade.

I'm thinking I'll update to a ballistic range finder and have been looking at the Gunwerks Revic BR4. Anyone have experience with these. Especially in the snow. I really want this for big game hunting more than anything but would like to be able to use it for coyotes when we have snow like this.
I think you'd really like the Revic BR4. We have 3 of those now as well as the Leica RF binos. I find myself gravitating towards the Revic though... I'm guessing they have an RF Bino option in the works, but hard tellin when we'll see it.

This year we have had a lot of snow so everything is completely covered. I hunt the open prairie for coyotes and today it was sunny and I just couldn't get a range on anything. I have a bushnell that is probably 15 years old and it's time for an upgrade.

I'm thinking I'll update to a ballistic range finder and have been looking at the Gunwerks Revic BR4. Anyone have experience with these. Especially in the snow. I really want this for big game hunting more than anything but would like to be able to use it for coyotes when we have snow like this.
I have the old generation Geovids(probably 15 years old) and in snowy conditions they will only range 3-400 yds at best. I'm looking to upgrade for ones that will range in snow. I've had to pass on a couple bucks in eastern Montana because I couldn't get a range on them.( 4-500 yds) Sounds like the new Geovids might be the answer. What say???

One possibility you may want to try is learning to use your scope to range with as a backup to your range finder. They don't care if it's snowy, the only things that interfere with them is darkness and fog.

One possibility you may want to try is learning to use your scope to range with as a backup to your range finder. They don't care if it's snowy, the only things that interfere with them is darkness and fog.
I'm getting older now and am not as good at guessing ranges as I used to be. I have a problem with shooting at something I can't range unless it's 300 yds or under. Back in about 2007 I had the Leupold custom shop install a turret on my 4×14 vari X 3. It works great and is right on the money out to 1000yds with my reloads. But without a rangefinder it's worthless. I use it mostly in eastern Montana deer hunting. It's mostly flat and only minimal cover. Knowing the range is crucial to making a good kill shot. As long as it doesn't snow my old Geovids work great.