Where to buy camo for hunting in snow?

This is a very frustrating topic to me. Why doesnt anyone make a decent quality Gore Tex snow pant that will fit a man over 5'10"??? I wear snow camo for a couple months of the year and I dont want a cheasy cover up, I want REAL hunting pants that are water proof, breatheable, and just plain white. Why is this so hard to find? It seems like if someone like Cabelas actually produced them they could make a killing since they would have the market cornered.

Yotaholic said:
This is a very frustrating topic to me. Why doesnt anyone make a decent quality Gore Tex snow pant that will fit a man over 5'10"??? I wear snow camo for a couple months of the year and I dont want a cheasy cover up, I want REAL hunting pants that are water proof, breatheable, and just plain white. Why is this so hard to find? It seems like if someone like Cabelas actually produced them they could make a killing since they would have the market cornered.

I agree, plus GoreTex allows for layering of warmer clothing beneath when it is colder, and removal of the under-layers when the weather warms up. I would like just one Gore-Tex garment (pants and top) in a camo color of my choosing for snow and non-snow. I do a lot of shooting in high-desert country with a lot of sage brush. Mossy Oak or Advantage does not fit make the grade in desert country, but try and tell the manufacturers. They seem to think that all varmints exist only in the eastern U.S.

Last edited:
KINGS SNOW SHADOW! YOUR NOT LISTENING. it's waterproof + comes in a snow sage pattern. can get it in shell or insulated, great stuff. i promise you won't be disapointed.gun)

King's Outdoor World web site states that its products are available at some Cabela's stores. I plan to hunt next month in northern Arizona and will drop by Cabela's in Phoenix for a look-see on the way down. I also want to get some ideas on a good scent-blocking technique that would not drive my wife nuts after hunts. Bill Porter, a coyote blogger who has his own website, swears by skunk scent, although its downside is that it can cause problems if any of the stuff happens to get on his clothes or hands (http://www.wcp-nm.com/coyotes/scents.htm). There are a variety of anti-scent methods out there, but I would like one that is inexpensive (i.e., not having to buy scent-lok type clothing) and can be more easily controlled.

Maybe this should be the subject of a separate thread, but....any ideas?

Last edited:
I'd recommend kings. It's truly waterproof. I like the natural gear snow pattern too but can't find anything in that pattern other than cotton coverup suits that end up all wet after one or two stands. 15years ago cabelas had a goretex snow suit. I finally wore that out a couple years back. It was great. Intended for goose hunters. Although it was noisy, it kept you dry.

Kings does make some nice stuff and has some tall sizes. I have their XT parka and bibs in snow shadow, its very nice. Unfortunately the bibs are too warm and baggy for spot and stalk or tracking and the only Snowshadow pants I can find come in generic sizes like S/M or L/XL and no talls, a 31" inseam just isnt going to cut it.

Cabelas has tons of nice pants cut to a specific waist size and hemmed to your inseam specs in every camo imaginable, except white! GET ON IT CABELAS!!

I have looked into snow skiing pants which are available in white, but they dont look very durable and the ones I saw sounded like a bag of potato chips in the cold.

So I have been providing encouragement for another fella to finish his Snow Ghillie while finishing up details on my own. I am well aware that it isn't for everyone and there are many pros and cons when using a Ghillie in the snow but I decided to go ahead with a build anyway. Id rather learn from experience.
Polyester Overwhite System from Cabelas is the base and I completely deconstructed it and sewed Waterproof MilSpec RipStop Nylon over the front of the jacket, and covered the entire pants, double layered on the knees and triple on the butt. Used an old golf net from the garage with 1.5" grid to stitch onto the back of the suit. Used 50% nylon for the back material, and 50% cotton for the material. The nylon keeps weight down, (whole suit is 3lb 11.8oz) while the cotton actually collects snow and ice to add as natural "vegetation". Details on the front of the suit are grey digital done with krylon and hand made stencils. A custom snow camo pattern is in the works and should be done in time for my next suit as this one is sold, pending funds. ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, JUST ASK.

Not as many prairie tests as I would like... unfortunately I hunt open prairie, but don't have much available where I live.

Unfinished Preview
YouTube - Snow Ghillie Preview - Field Test Coming Soon

Field Test
YouTube - Arctic Snow Ghillie - Field Test

Suit-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.